Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Hp Officejet pro 6970

Hi I am currently trying to print a 42.3kb PDF file remotely from my windows 10 laptop to my officejet 6970 at another location using epint. I believe the set up is ok and have sent the email to the printer with the pdf attached. The email itself prints fine but the attached pdf does not print. is it stored on the printer somewhere if so how do I find it or should it print automatically with the email? If so why doesn't it ? Also is it possible to not print the actual email just the attachment? I am using Mozilla Thunderbird as my email client?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Oasis01 

@Oasis01 wrote:

Hi

1.  I am currently trying to print a 42.3kb PDF file remotely from my windows 10 laptop to my officejet 6970 at another location using epint.

2.  I believe the set up is ok and have sent the email to the printer with the pdf attached.

3.  The email itself prints fine but the attached pdf does not print.

4.  is it stored on the printer somewhere if so how do I find it or should it print automatically with the email? If so why doesn't it ?

5.  Also is it possible to not print the actual email just the attachment?

6.  I am using Mozilla Thunderbird as my email client?

So, I don't know - there is no obvious answer why it should not work if all the rules are followed.

This is particularly true when ePrint has worked in the past.

1.  42.3KB is very small - possible / probably a partial / one page document - the size of the document is not an issue.

2.  If you have ever used the feature previously - if it worked, if the setup is the same - the setup is likely "still OK".  This is not proof - simply an observation.

3.  See the Reference / Document below and make sure the document is supported.

4.  The document is not stored on the printer.  It is part of the email, sent as an attachment to the printer for immediate processing.  Printer does not save the data after the job is completed (regardless of result).   As well, the document and / or attachments are not stored on any HP server (so are not available for later retrieval).

5.  I believe printing "only the attachment" is not possible - both main email and allowed / supported attachment should print.  There might be details in the "how-to" document I have missed.

6.  Just tested a 52KB test file using Mozilla Thunderbird (Linux system) and a 75KB file / attachment from Windows based Thunderbird - sent to an OfficeJet Pro 9025.  Works.  This proves little except that Thunderbird does not generally interfere with the process.

Reference

HP Printers - Printing with HP ePrint 

Document explains what works and what does not work:

HP ePrint Email Job Does Not Print

Read the document to refresh your memory on the proper use and the several restrictions.

Including section:

Step 2: Check ePrint email and print job requirements

Partial Excerpt

Documents:

Document files must be PDF, HTML, TXT, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, or Excel. ePrint cannot print digitally signed, encrypted, or password protected documents.

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon, Thank you for the response.

This is the 1st time I have tried this so not had it work before and still not managed to get it to work as yet.

However I am wondering if the problem might be that the pdf file is protected?

I have today sent another unprotected pdf and will see if that solves the issue 

HP Recommended

@Oasis01 

You are welcome.

Protected PDF files are less common  - those documents you receive from your doctor, your insurance company, or your bank might be protected against various forms of copy / print / editing. 

True - if a file is protected against printing or if it requires a password to print, the file won't work with ePrint.

That said, the underlying cause of the problem could be any number of things mentioned in the help document.  I've used ePrint for testing - from this or that location or device to our office printer.  Sometimes it works, sometimes I know why it does not work (for having tried to do something I know is not supported) - sometimes it says it works and does not do so.  In that case, it seems that the service might be glacially slow (job eventually shows up) or perhaps the servers that process the jobs are down.  Downed service does recover - we do NOT have any way to track, log, or otherwise guess what or when events are happening. 

In other words, do it right and hope for the best, I think.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.