Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Photo 7830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new 7830 printer.  When I try to print a Word document which contains a picture, the picture appears too large and the righthand side of the picture is missing.

The original picture size was wider than an A4 page but it has been dragged at the corners to make it smaller than the printable size of the page.  In the Word Print Preview Screen it appears correct.  When printed on an HP Laserjet it appears correctly.

When printed on the HP Envy Photo 7830 it is printed incorrectly.  It seems that the picture is printed at its original size rather than the reduced size created in Word and as shown in the Word preview.

I suspect this is a problem with the Printer Driver.

Also, Word reports that the bottom margin must be set to 1.6 cms when the 7830 is selected but the printer documentation says the bottom margin can be as small as 0.3 cms.

Any advice would be most welcome.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

An Update on this problem.

I have now printed the same document on the same HP 7830 from a Samsung Tablet and it printed correctly with the whole picture visible.

Interestingly on all three prints ( on laserjet4000, HP730 from Windows 10 and HP 7830 from Samsung Tablet) the bottom of the picture was in exactly the same position.  e.g. the frame in which the picture was contained was the same in all 3 cases.  But the size of the picture in the frame was incorrect using the Windows 10 driver. 

The Printer Driver allocated for the printer is "HP749F21 (HP ENVY Photo 7800 series) 

Regards

Roy Turner

HP Recommended

@TurnerTech

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.)  Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty,

Thank you for your detailed reply which I will try.

Please also note:

The problem only occurs when using a Windows PC (mine is Windows 10 64 bit) and using a ".doc" format.  When using a ".docx" format it prints correctly.  I believe the fault is with the Printer Driver for the HP Envy Photo 7830.  Also, as it prints correctly on other printers and also works when printing to the 7830 from a tablet, this seems to confirm my conclusion.

I have been receiving help from Maria in HP support.  She helped me load a basic driver for a different series of printers and that printed both the ".doc" and ".docx" formats correctly.

I will let you know if your solution improves the situation.  Please bear in mind that I bought this printer specifically because it provides all of the features I require to replace my HP PhotoSmart C6100.  This includes scanning to USB and SDcards as well as having the multi page scanner and the Photo tray.  The current driver does work with all of these features, it is just the ".doc" printing of embedded pictures which fails.

Regards

Roy

HP Recommended

Hi Betty,

I followed the instructions step by step.  The Full Features installed this time.  On the previous 4 attempts it failed installing the first of 10 software items with a blocked file.

However, regarding my printing problem:  The problem has not be solved.  After doing the full reinstal as per the instructions, I printed a ".docx" document with an embedded picture and it printed correctly.  I then saved it as a ".doc" document.  The print preview shows the page as I expect to see it printed.  However the resulting print has the expanded picture within the correctly sized placeholder.

The following three pictures illustrate the problem.  I have scanned the pages produced by the 7800 printer.  The first picture is from the .docx format,  the second picture (incorrect print) is from the .doc format and the third picture is a screen snip of the Print Preview of the .doc version.  What appears is not what is previewed.   Note that the caption to each picture appears below each picture.

TheDOCX Version with 2 JPG screen snips of map images one above the other. Printed PerfectlyDOCX Version with 2 JPG screen snips of map images one above the other. Printed PerfectlySame document but in DOC format.  Both map images expanded in frame but frame size is correct so text appears in same position.Same document but in DOC format. Both map images expanded in frame but frame size is correct so text appears in same position.JPG snipped image of Print Preview of DOC format showing that page should appear correctly. But it doesn'tJPG snipped image of Print Preview of DOC format showing that page should appear correctly. But it doesn't

HP Recommended

@TurnerTech

If using the basic driver of another Printer did help. you may use that driver for printing.

Let me know 🙂

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty,

Unfortunately the basic driver for the 7830, or another range of printers, does not provide access to all the features of the 7830 which were the reason I chose this particular printer in the first place.

From the testing I have done I conclude that there is a fault in the HP Envy Photo 7800 Series Driver.  HP needs to find the cause of the problem and fix it.

I can get around the problem by only using ".docx" formatted documents.  This is very inconvenient, and should not be necessary, because I send my documents to a wide range of people who use a diverse range of computers, tablets, phones and ipads many of which cannot open ".docx" formatted Word documents.

Getting HP to find and fix the problem would be my preferred solution.

Regards

Roy

HP Recommended

@TurnerTech

I understand. Let's try to disable User Account Control here:

1. Type UAC in the search field on your taskbar. (If the search field isn't visible, right-click the Start button and choose Search.)
  2. Click Change User Account Control settings in the search results.
  3. Then do one of the following:
    • To turn UAC off, drag the slider down to Never notify and click OK.
  4. You may be prompted to confirm your selection or enter an administrator password.
  5. Reboot your computer for the change to take effect.

Also, let's try giving full permission to the printers folder and the printer. 1.) Open path C:/Windows/System32/Spool 2.) Right click on PRINTERS folder and select Properties 3.) Click Security tab. 4.) Click Advanced 5.) Under Permissions tab click Continue 6.) Allow Full control to all entries below Principal. 7.) Click Apply and Ok. 8.) Open Devices and Printers. 9.) Right-click the name of your printer and select Printer properties 10.) Click Security tab and give full permissions to all the entries under Group or user names. 11.) Restart the PC.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty,

This is the current situation:

1. The PC Printer Driver for the 7830 does not printed embedded pictures correctly if the Word document is formatted as a .doc document.  No amount of changes to the UAC or anything else makes the slightest bit of difference.

2. Printing the same cocument in .docx format works correctly.

3. Sending the document to a Samsung Tablet and printing on the same 7830 printer from the Tablet works correctly.

4. Printing the .doc document on a Laserjet prints correctly.

5. Using a Printer Driver for a different range of printers to print on the same 7830 works correctly.

CONCLUSION:  There is a bug in the 7830 PC Printer Driver.

I can send you several documents in .doc format which demonstrate the problem.  In the Print Preview screen they appear normal.  But what is printed is different from the Print Preview.

Regards

Roy

HP Recommended

@TurnerTech

Thank you for the response.

Barachiel is at your service. 

I'm sending out a Private message with the required information's,

Good Luck. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.