Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 120
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I have installed, cleaned, and aligned a new black cartridge.  I have also performed the reset outlined below and have had no success.  Would appreciate any further assistance.  Thank you in advance.

• Remove the cartridges from the printer.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@turoksj

You're welcome. 

Glad to know that the printing is working. 

Please perform a manual alignment by following the below steps:

If the alignment fails then clean the printhead by following the below steps:

Once again attempt the alignment process.

Hope this helps. Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@turoksj

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, MKazi is at your service. 

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 120 e-All-in-One Printer and the printer does not print in black. I read that it is a new black ink cartridge. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

Do you have another black ink cartridge to check with?

While you respond to that, I suggest you to review the steps mentioned in "Step five: Clean the area around the ink nozzles" from this HP document. These steps help in cleaning the cartridge manually.

If the problem persists after cleaning the cartridge manually then it could be a defective cartridge. Please try replacing the black ink cartridge and check how it goes. 

Hope this helps. Let me know.

Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you MKazi.  I will attempt these solutions and let you know.

HP Recommended

MKazi,

The printer cartridge alignment is failing.  So the printer defaults to settings that seem to print a much lighter version of what is normal.  The good news is that it is printing something.  Is there a way to address this alignment issue?  Thank you.

HP Recommended

@turoksj

You're welcome. 

Glad to know that the printing is working. 

Please perform a manual alignment by following the below steps:

Once again attempt the alignment process.

Hope this helps. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi, I am having this exact same problem, however, none of the troubleshooting listed here works.

Nothing I do makes the black ink print, colour however works perfectly. Any ideas?

HP Recommended

@DAZLEE wrote:

Hi, I am having this exact same problem, however, none of the troubleshooting listed here works.

Nothing I do makes the black ink print, colour however works perfectly. Any ideas?

May I know what is your operating system and printer model?

Do you see the issue when you do a copy job?

“I am an HP employee”
HP Recommended

Windows 10 Home 64 bit and HP Envy Phoenix 860-000na

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.