Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I am not able to connect my printer to my computer. I have installed the necessary software and continuously used Scan Doctor to fix the problem, but I am caught in a loop. The printer has a wireless connection and shows a strong signal and so does my computer, but for some reason the computer cannot find the printer. (Side Note: I downloaded the HP ePrint app for my phone and have printed documents from my mobile device - so it has to be the computer-printer connection) I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software and gone through all the setup steps multiple times. When I try to use scan doctor it tells me to put in the IP address, so I do that, but it still cannot find the printer. It just sends me in circles. I don't know what else to do and am getting very frustrated. Can someone please help me?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @JLacee, I would be happy to help you with your Envy 4520.

I am confident that I will be able to help you work towards a solution, and I ask only that you pay it forward. When we settle the issue, I'd like for you to kindly mark the appropriate post as Accept as Solution so that others encountering the same or similar issue can find what worked for you.  Although you may not be seeing a printer offline message, the solutions presented in the following document will likely help you to resolve the issue: HP Printers - 'Offline' Printer Status Message Displays (Windows 10).

Please be sure to keep me apprised of the outcome so I can follow up with you. Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

This is a great link, but it did not help my issue. I tried to complete step one by right clicking on the printer to set it as the default printer. The problem is that when I right-clicked on it, it did not give me an option to set it as the default printer. The printer I want to connect to is listed under Printers, but it will not allow me to set it as the default. Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

When you try to set the printer as the default, what happens? Does it appear as the default printer in the Printers and Devices but not in the programs you are trying to print from?

You can run the Print and Scan Doctor to set the default printer if you would like, this might be the easiest of options.  You can use the following link to download and run the Print and Scan Doctor: www.hp.com/go/tools.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance. Thanks.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I have the same problem described.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer multiple times and it never gets past the final step.  The printer is on my network, becasue just as described, I can email docs as attachments to the @hpeprint email address and they print perfectly.  I don't want to have to save every doc I need to print then email it to the printer.  Also, my desktop computer is a mac, and I used all of the Mac software and followed the Mac instructions.  Further, when I clicked on the link to the doc offered as a solution, I got a 404 error.  Please help!

HP Recommended

@ragreene801

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Envy 4520 printer. I understand that you are unable to print from Mac, and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

• Check the connection between the printer and the Mac.
  • Reset the printer.
  • Remove multiple printers from the printer list.
  • Reset the printing system.

Click here to refer the document and perform troubleshooting steps to fix this issue.

If the issue is resolved and you appreciate my help,

Please click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up".

Let me know how you make out.

Cheers

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding.  None of that worked.  No matter what I restart (and I have restarted everything multiple times), the following always happens without fail.  Here are the steps I most recently took:

1. Resrore network settings on printer

2. go through all steps in HP easy start and it immediately finds my device

3. it goes through mutliple steps succesfully

4. Gets hung up on the final "Verifying the device Settings" step

5. Eventually window pops up that says it cannot find the device

However after completeing those steps the printer is now on my network according to the screen on the computer and i can easily print to it via email.

However it never shows up on, my printer list on my Mac and my Mac can't print to it.  I have tried all troubleshooting suggested by HP and I'm on the verge of returning it to the store.

HP Recommended

@ragreene801

Thank you for the reply.

I appreciate you on doing all the troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue.

It seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to contact HP phone support for further assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was having this same problem.  However, the fix for me was to disconnect from my work's VPN.  I have to connect to my job's VPN in order to RDC to my work computer when I work from home.  Everytime I tried to print when connected to VPN, I would get the "unable to communicate with printer" error.  After disconnecting from VPN, it printed no problems.  Hope this helps someone in the future.

HP Recommended

@j_humphries10

Thank you for taking the time to post on the HP Support Forums page. You are right. It will help others who are seeking for a solution on the web. Sharing is caring!

Cheers! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.