Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5055
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi! My HP Envy 5055, every day or two, will tell me it is out of paper. However, it does have paper. It is very frustrating. I have to completely shut it down, then restart it, in order to make this error go away. Not cool!  How do I get it to register that it has paper.  I mean, the paper tray is minimal - at best, this things holds like 50 sheets of paper, as it is! But at least there is paper.  I have had more trouble with this printer than any other in my life! 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@InXplicblThings

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Does this error come up while copying too?

Clean the paper rollers underneath the printer.

1. Turn off the printer, and then disconnect any cords connected to the printer, such as the power cord and USB cable.

2. Turn the printer on its side to access its underside (base).

CAUTION: 

Before turning the printer, use your hands to secure the scanner lid.

3. While supporting the printer with one hand, pull the paper tray open to expose the paper rollers underneath the printer.

Figure : Rollers underneath the printer

Rollers underneath the printer
  4. Lightly dampen a lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess liquid from the cloth.

5. Press the cloth against the rollers inside the printer, and then rotate the rollers upwards with your fingers. Apply a moderate amount of pressure to remove any dust or dirt buildup.

6. Allow the rollers to dry completely (approximately 10 minutes).

7. Close the paper tray, and then set the printer upright.

8. Reconnect the power cord and any other cables to the rear of the printer, and then turn on the printer.

If the issue persists, please perform the remaining steps from this document: https://support.hp.com/za-en/product/hp-envy-5000-all-in-one-printer-series/14095644/model/14095768/...

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there - 

No, I do not copy hardly at all.  Only print. And I will reset the printer by turning it off and restarting. It will work fine for a day, maybe two.  Some days, like today, it print fine for about 5 pages. Then I was away from my desk for about an hour. When I returned, I needed to print one more page. "Paper Out" -  makes no sense whatsoever.  And this printer is about 3 months old, with less that 500 sheets run through it. 

I am just very frustrated.  

HP Recommended

I understand. Do perform the steps given in my previous post. We need to know if this happens while copying too to determine if it's a hardware issue.

Let us know 🙂

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.