Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 5660
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Can the ENVY 5660 e-All-In-One printer print documents (e.g., .doc files) from a thumb drive plugged into its USB port ?

Similarly, can the OfficeJet Pro 8710 or 8720 print documents from  a thumb drive plugged into its USB port ?

Thank you

DaleBr

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi DaleBr,

Any PCL3 printer such as the Officejet Pro 8710, 8720 only support pritning Photos from a thumbdrive (JPEG and BMP), it cannot print any document files such as PDF ir DOCX from a thumbdriver but only from a computer..

The HP Envy 5660 only support printing Photos from a memory device too, but only from an SD Card, it do not offer any USB port for a thumbdrive.

Any of the models above can only print documents from a computer or a mobile device..

The Officejet Pro 8730 which is a postscript printer do support printing PDF, Word and Powerepoint files directly from a thumbdrive (Latin characters only), however this is a commercial product and cost more as a such:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-officejet-pro-8730-e-all-in-one-printer

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi DaleBr,

Any PCL3 printer such as the Officejet Pro 8710, 8720 only support pritning Photos from a thumbdrive (JPEG and BMP), it cannot print any document files such as PDF ir DOCX from a thumbdriver but only from a computer..

The HP Envy 5660 only support printing Photos from a memory device too, but only from an SD Card, it do not offer any USB port for a thumbdrive.

Any of the models above can only print documents from a computer or a mobile device..

The Officejet Pro 8730 which is a postscript printer do support printing PDF, Word and Powerepoint files directly from a thumbdrive (Latin characters only), however this is a commercial product and cost more as a such:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-officejet-pro-8730-e-all-in-one-printer

Regards,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Thank you.

That is exactly what I need to know !

Also, do you know which prints better photos, the OfficeJet 8720/8730 or the Envy 5660 ?

DaleBr

HP Recommended

You're welcome DaleBr!

The HP Officejet Pro Series is generally more intended for office printing like document and brochures.

It provides good Photo Printing quality on Photo Paper with best quality printing, but the Envy do better on a such.

The Envy printer provides better Photo Quality printing on poto paper, it provides more accurate and sharp colors.

On a matter of lab quality photo prinitng, the Envy would be my suggestion, on the matter of cost per page the Officejet pro would..

Regards,

Shlomi

HP Recommended
Thanks again, for the information !

DaleBr
HP Recommended

Hi there

Referring to the feature that you askregarding printing documents from USB thumbdrive in Officejet pro 8710 and 20. Althernatively, you could also opt for HP Officejet pro 8210, which is the single function of the 8700 series that is capable of performing the feature you mentioned, but at a much cheaper price. 🙂

HP Recommended
Thank !
But, I chose to get a Laser printer instead if another inkjet since all of HP's inkjet printers appear to have the same print engine, since they all exhibit the same problems I have described in detail in the past. HP doesn't seem to be interested enough to fix the problems ... just continue to sell defective products to the community. Pretty sad !
HP Recommended

Re Envy 5660, just wondering why, when trying to scan, it offers a memory device option, but there is no USB port? You mentioned SD card, but where do I buy that and where is it inserted on the 5660?

HP Recommended

If I reme

bee corrrvtly (my ENVY 5660 died) there is a curved flap door on the front left side of the printer. Press it, and it will rotate open to insert the memory device.

memory cards can be purchased at Best Buy, WalMart, Target, Amazon.com ...

Msme sure to get the correct type of card (e.g., SD, Micro SD, Compact FFlash, ...).

HP Recommended

Thank you! Will purchase memory card since I almost always have to use the HP Print & Scan Doctor whenever I want to scan directly to my laptop. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.