Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hello.

Please help.

I already did everything you said (@jabzi), (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Knowledge-Base/Error-79-on-HP-Color-LaserJet-Pro-M280-M281-Mu... by my printer keeps looping: "ready state" for few seconds and then "79 Error: Please turn off then on", again and again.

I also downloaded a firmware. I tried to install it in my printer but the printer never gets in "ready state" for more than 3 seconds.

What can I do?

I have several days trying to fix it. I am loosing my mind.

Thank you very much

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hello, 

Please check your inbox ( click on Envelope icon - top right of this window ) for more information.

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

I am having the same issues with my Color Laser jet M281fdw. I have done all of the steps mentioned. Please help. The printer will not stop initializing. It does it every 1-2 minutes and still shows the 79 error after I have done all of the steps mentioned above. I am hoping that Jabzi will see this message and send me the same instructions.

Thanks,

Helen

HP Recommended

Jabzi,

Can you send me the instructions that you sent another user here? I am having the same problem and have done all of the steps you mentioned above. The printer will not stop initializing.

Please help!

Helen

HP Recommended

I am a new user. I reinstalled all the HP SW and the error 79 returned. I have not updated the firmware and I put back the HP branded toner. But the printer is looping on the error 79. Please send your reply again to me 

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello , 

Please try the below are the steps that one need to follow in the order as mentioned ...

Disconnect the printer from the NETWORK  

If on wired network : Unplug the  Ethernet cable from back of the printer.    

If on wireless network : Power of the Wireless router. Turn off the printer.    

Wait for 30 seconds. Turn on the printer.     

If the printer is in READY state, on the printer front panel, go to Setup -> Network Setup -> Network Services -> IPv6 -> Off.   

Turn off the printer. Wait for 30 seconds and then turn on the printer.      

Once the printer is in Ready state you may go ahead and connect the printer to the network ( Power on the Wireless Router or plug in the Ethernet cable ) and then try printing.

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

I went through those steps and I am still having the issue.  It continues to restart and spool.  I have tried your process twice.  Do you have another recommendation?

HP Recommended

I have the same issue and already tried all

that is mentioned. Can you send me other options as well?

HP Recommended

Appreciate the posts and info . error 79 just started today.  removed the network jack no 79 or reboot.  downgraded to 2020 06 firmware from other threads no luck. IP6 was already disabled - don't use it. was running static IP forever... following your thread to cycle the box after disconnecting network, does grab an IP from DHCP and reboots !  very frustrating

anything would help - thanks

HP Recommended

Jabzi - Please help us - people are not having luck with the solution noted below!!!

"79 Service Error - Turn Off"

The printer awakened us at 4 this morning with the constant reboots.  I have followed

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Knowledge-Base/Error-79-on-HP-Color-LaserJet-Pro-M280-M281-Mu...

solution multiple times (the IPv6 part is always OFF to begin with). Itmay print once after that procedure but then reboots once again... PLEASE HELP. HP doesn't allow you to talk to a real person. The printer is 14 months old.... 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.