Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Laser Jet Pro MFP M281fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My Laserjet Pro mfp m281fdw printer started show an error code 79. It would boot up and say ready on the screen for about 15 seconds and then automatically shutdown and reboot. It will constantly do this. It will turn on throw a code and then shutdown and reboot over and over. I have tried physically turning it on and off, as well as leaving it unplugged for several hours and trying again. I get the same results. I can not even run the scan doctor on it because it does not stay on long enough to connect. I have only had the printer for about 14 months so it is relatively new. Any ideas on what I could do would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @Laserjet85 

Below are the steps that one need to follow in the order as mentioned ...

1> Disconnect the printer from the NETWORK

If on wired network : Unplug the  Ethernet cable from back of the printer.

If on wireless network : Power of the Wireless router. Turn off the printer.

2> Wait for 30 seconds. Turn on the printer. 

3> If the printer is in READY state, on the printer front panel, go to Setup -> Network Setup -> Network Services -> IPv6 -> Off.

4> Turn off the printer. Wait for 30 seconds and then turn on. Try printing , it should work.

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Hey Jabzi,

Thanks for the tip. So I tried that and it solved the error 79 issue. However, now my computer wont communicate with the printer wirelessly. I tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling. In the setup process for the drivers it locates the printer and network but when it goes install network device it says it is unable to install device over the network. I tried just installing the drivers with out setting up the network and the printer works just fine when plugged into USB. If you have any solutions please let me know. Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.