Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8630
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I brought my printer with me from Australia to the USA.

Having purchased new genuine replacement ink cartridges, 950XL and 951, I get a message on the printer screen saying:-

Incompatible ink cartridges

The indicated cartridges are not intended for use in this printer.

I would appreciate your help, please.

Thanks,

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

On the front panel of the printer go to the home screen and press the ink droplet icon at the top of the screen.  Next touch the black rectangle.  At this point a new window will open that says "installed cartridge" and "Supported cartridge".  What are the cartridge numbers listed?

HP introduced regionalized cartridges (Z10, Z20, Z30 and Z40) for the previously universal 950/951 cartridges in about January 2017.  The printer will "lock" itself to the first Zxx cartridge installed in the printer.  If you are in the US/Canada you will need Z10 cartridges, but the printer was likely have been locked to another region.  In that case you will need to have HP perform a "Regionalization Reset".  You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will need to have the full featured driver installed to generate the codes needed to reset the region.  You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.

The regionalization reset is covered by cartridge warranty, see the document here for information.   I have also seen folks having good success posting to the HP Support Facebook page here.

Please post back here with your results, especially if you require more assistance.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

On the front panel of the printer go to the home screen and press the ink droplet icon at the top of the screen.  Next touch the black rectangle.  At this point a new window will open that says "installed cartridge" and "Supported cartridge".  What are the cartridge numbers listed?

HP introduced regionalized cartridges (Z10, Z20, Z30 and Z40) for the previously universal 950/951 cartridges in about January 2017.  The printer will "lock" itself to the first Zxx cartridge installed in the printer.  If you are in the US/Canada you will need Z10 cartridges, but the printer was likely have been locked to another region.  In that case you will need to have HP perform a "Regionalization Reset".  You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will need to have the full featured driver installed to generate the codes needed to reset the region.  You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.

The regionalization reset is covered by cartridge warranty, see the document here for information.   I have also seen folks having good success posting to the HP Support Facebook page here.

Please post back here with your results, especially if you require more assistance.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks you so much for this - it came very close to solving the issue.

After going through a process and getting the codes final message via FB Messenger is:-

The value for box 51 does not match therefore, request you to not proceed with it as you get only 3 attempts to do the region reset.

I would recommend you contact our phone support:
HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:
1) Click on this link – http://www.hp.com/contacthp/
2) Select the product type.
3) Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.
4) Select the country from the drop-down.
5) You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Parul -HP Social Media Tech Support

I am unable to locate a phone number to call 😞

HP Recommended

After getting a bit of a run around with the online help, virtual assistant etc, I decided to take  a punt and re-entered the codes again.  I got a different confirmation code this time.  I pressed OK and the the issue is now resolved.  Thank you!

HP Recommended

Huge thanks Bob - all resolved now.  I appreciate your assistance - it helped immensely!!!

Cheers,

Jim

HP Recommended

I am glad things are resolved.  The "Contact HP" link seems to only work if the printer is still in warranty, unfortunately the Officejet Pro 8600 series printers are now long out of warranty.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.