Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP PHOTOSMART B109n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everybody,

I bought an HP Photosmart All-in-One B109n printer eleven years ago, I always used the HP ink cartridges and had no problems except that they didn't last much. But now as I turn it on, the error code: "Ink system failure. 0xc19a0020. Turn printer off, then on." appears and the display is blocked, I can't select any menu option. This happened when I changed the ink cartridge with a compatible one, not the original HP (and at the same time, the software also stopped as the Adobe Flash Player is no more supported by Microsoft Windows). So I cleaned the printhead, then I also turned the printer on and off several times but it is still blocked.

Can a new printhead simply fix it? Or are there other ways to access the reset menu? 

Pleaseeeeeeeee, let me know. :LightBulb:

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Maria_B1,

I'd like to help!

You may refill your cartridges or use remanufactured cartridges, but you may run into problems. HP will not guarantee the functionality of those ink cartridges.

There are many cartridges in the market which is refilled and sometimes the chip is not configured to work with the printer. You need to contact the cartridge manufacturer and find out why its not working. Try a different cartridge supplier and check if that works.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thanks for your advice, I've also read that in this case the right ink cartridges able to reset the printer are the HP Setup cartridges but it's not easy to find them as HP doesn't sell them (it was not written in the HP manual to keep the first cartridges being the Setup ones, different from the others).

My printer is out of warranty, I reinstalled the software and it works again now, scanning is ok but printing and copying are blocked. The software shouldn't lock the printer but simply allow to replace the compatible cartridges with the original ones. Locking means to reset the printer and in this case HP should provide a procedure to fix it without using a setup cartridge (for example by changing some parameters in the software files or else). Can you describe a reset procedure when the display menu is locked and no setup cartridges are available?

Grazie.

HP Recommended

We would have to perform an OOBE reset on the printer to bypass the error.

The reset instructions will not work on non-HP ink cartridges.

I’d recommend you contact HP Phone Support in your region to purchase the right ink cartrdiges.

Follow the instructions below to reach them:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 

6)Fill the web-form and proceed further.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Hope this helps!

Have a great day

HP Recommended

Thanks, it provides the HP community assistance and a paid phone support to allow remote access to the printer.

There is no HP assistance center in my region, Lazio, Italy.

But after all this and as I'm sick to death of inkjet cartridges, I think it would be more convenient to me to buy a new printer, a simple all-in-one laserjet printer.

Best Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.