Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp officejet pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

The carriage seems to be stuck... is there a way to move it

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Booklady91

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the carriage jam.

Make sure the carriage moves freely across the width of the printer and try a printer reset - 

1) Turn on the printer, if it is not already on. 
2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent.
3) With the printer turned on, unplug the power cord from the printer & wall. 
3) Wait for 60 seconds.  
4) Plug the power cord back into the printer and wall, ensure the printer is plugged into the wall & not to a surge protector. 
5) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

You may also try the steps listed in this video link - Fixing a Carriage Jam

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Booklady91

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the carriage jam.

Make sure the carriage moves freely across the width of the printer and try a printer reset - 

1) Turn on the printer, if it is not already on. 
2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent.
3) With the printer turned on, unplug the power cord from the printer & wall. 
3) Wait for 60 seconds.  
4) Plug the power cord back into the printer and wall, ensure the printer is plugged into the wall & not to a surge protector. 
5) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

You may also try the steps listed in this video link - Fixing a Carriage Jam

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you. It's working.

HP Recommended

I'm glad you got this sorted out

Drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Officejet 6962 when is turned on sends the following message on display: "There is a problem with the printer or print system. Turn the printer Off, then On. If you continue to get this message, contact HP. 0x6100004a.
i tried the procedure mentioned on one of the posts, related to Unplug the printer and plug it from Wall, but error persists.

Something that I notice on the printer is that when I lift the tray waiting the carriage to move to the center, it never happens, Carriage stays "stuck" at the right part of the printer.

Any help is appreciated...

Rafael Ortiz

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.