Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Spent 4 hours with tech from phillipines......got to the secret support menu. Got to Replace the Original Print Cartridges message and then the touch screen fell into a continuous " preparing the printer " message. I can't get past this....any recomendations?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Lark2000,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your printer issue.

I understand that you spent a lot of time with a tech agent on the phone, but since speaking with them your printer is stuck in a "preparing the printer" mode. I would like to help with that.

Is you printer an HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer? Please let me know if it is not.

I would start by performing a Power Reset on the printer.

What problem were you having wen you contacted HP Tech Support by phone? Did they resolve the issue then?

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @Lark2000,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your printer issue.

I understand that you spent a lot of time with a tech agent on the phone, but since speaking with them your printer is stuck in a "preparing the printer" mode. I would like to help with that.

Is you printer an HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer? Please let me know if it is not.

I would start by performing a Power Reset on the printer.

What problem were you having wen you contacted HP Tech Support by phone? Did they resolve the issue then?

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thank you for your input. The last solution did not work. I have a HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus all in one. My original problem that I had called HP Support about was 2 simultaneous error messages. 1) a "False" paper jam error message that was followed by 2) an "improper shut down" error message from repeated power on and off.

After exhausting all HP forum solutions, I broke down and called for support. My printer was 4 months out of warranty. After several attempts, the tech and I got to the secret support menu...following her instructions when we tried to reset the printer, it went into the continuous loop of "preparing printer" messaging on the touch screen menu. We had tried several attempts of opening the cartridge bay door and once we even got to a message that suggested that I needed the original print cartridges (I have them). However, it had fallen back into the continous loop of "preparing the printer" message. I was hoping that there was another solution that I could try another hard reset of the maching.

HP Recommended

Hi @Lark2000,

Thanks for getting back to me. I can send you the reset information in a PM. If you are unsure how to check your PMs, here is a post that can help - How to check your messages.

Please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons up on my initial reply above so others with similar issues can find the solution easier.

Thanks!

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I did a reset and my 8600 is stuck in a loop. How do I get past this and  get it reset. I was dealing with the Ink System Failure message.

HP Recommended
Same 8600 printhead problem . Please provide method to secret support menu for hard reset
HP Recommended

can't even do that . Nothing changes, screen read printer failure. Can't even do FACTORY RESET,  push arrown button 4 times when turning on. The arrow button never shows. Can;t get any other copntrils to work. Even tried to push the spot where the retun arrow button shoudl be , and still NOTHING> Shoudl I take out the prin head and SOAK  it in ISA ?

HP Recommended

I had the same problem as all. After I refill the ink in my 8600 Premim printer I got message stating...

"hp officejet pro 8600 one or more cartridges appear to be missing or damaged"

After several attempts, finally I got it working... 

First Attempt:

I looked one of the forum to do hard reset. Here is what I did. Following link provides those details.

(Talks about pushing back button 4 times and performing hard reset)

http://resetprinters.com/how-to-reset-the-hp-officejet-pro-8600-premium-all-in-one-printer/

But Once I did that printer went into loop and never coms back.  Then I found this artcile.

(This talks about the boot time hard reset. Holding the power button while plugging in the power cable).

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/X476dw-doesn-t-boot-Help/td-p/5044674

My printer back online. No issues with the ink cartridge also. 

Hope this helps to resolve issue in few minutes.

HP Recommended

I'm seeling mine of for parts, its scrap now. Couldn't fix it

HP Recommended

thanks for the suggestion, but it is to late now. I gave up, I'm sellling it for scarp parts now. and replaced it.  I wish HP
 woudl be more open with their supprt or repair tips.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.