Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4450
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My HP Envy 4450 keeps reporting that it is out of paper.   It will complete a print run and then report that it is out of paper even though the paper tray still contains paper.   It does not report a paper jam nor is there any paper jammed in the machine.    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Walbar,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would suggest here is to perform an advanced reset on the printer, 

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Walbar, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you are getting false out of paper error on your printer.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Please try the steps recommended below.

If you cannot remove the paper jam from the rear of the product, follow these steps to remove the paper jam from the front.
Use the access handles on the sides of the product to open the cartridge access door.
Gently pull the paper out of the rollers.
   NOTE:
Remove paper from the front of the product as carefully as possible. If any torn pieces of paper remain inside the product, more paper jams are likely to occur, which could damage the print mechanism.
Close the cartridge access door.
Reconnect the USB cable to the rear of the product.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
Press the Power button () to turn on the product.
Try to print a printer status report. See the steps on how to print a printer status report at the beginning of this document.
If these steps resolved the issue and the printer status report prints, there is no need to continue troubleshooting.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot Out of Paper errors on your printer.

Let me know if this works!

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello there, no changes have been made to the printer since initial installation except for a reset of the wifi connection.   I was using the cartridge print exchange service but cancelled that and installed my own (genuine HP) cartridges and this seems to have been when the paper out message first appeared.   

After receiving your reply, I minutely inspected the printer both inside and out for a paper jam but found nothing stuck and I have never had to remove paper from inside the printer due to a paper jam

HP Recommended

Hi @Walbar,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would suggest here is to perform an advanced reset on the printer, 

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi J_S,

Your factory reset solution appears to have done the trick, I have had no reports of paper out since, Many thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @Walbar,

Thank you for the update,

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.