Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 5646

As discussed in several telephone conversations and online chats with customer services, I would like to register a complaint.

In Feb 2016, I purchased an HP Envy printer 5646 and enrolled in Instant Ink.  The printer worked well but over time there were several small issues (stopping in mid-print, being unable to connect to printer or scanner) but nothing major. 

In April 2018, the printer developed a paper jam which could not be cleared.  I followed the advice on the HP website (and asked the HP Community Forum) but the problem persisted.  Eventually, I had to purchase another printer.  As I work from home, I need reliable printer and scanner.   

In May 2018, I purchased another Envy 5646 (and enrolled in Instant Ink).  Again, the printer worked well initially but occasionally had the same small issues as the previous one. 

In August 2020, the second printer developed a paper jam which could not be cleared.  Once again, I followed the advice online but the problem persisted.  I contacted your Technical Support online who took me through the steps to reset the printer.  Unfortunately, this did not clear the problem.

As explained, the noise the printer made (before it displayed the ‘Paper Jam’ message) suggested that rather than there being paper stuck in the machine, the paper wasn’t being picked up by the rollers.

Although both printers were out of warranty when then problem developed, for two printers to have developed exactly the same fault after just over two years of use is unacceptable.  I have spent a total of £121 (£49.99 and £71.95) on two printers in four years and well over of £200 in Instant Ink. 

In the online chat with technical support, I was offered a 20% cashback voucher as compensation.  But to make this worthwhile (and adequate compensation) I would have had to buy a printer costing over £100.  Firstly, this would be more than I would be able to pay in the current financial situation.  Secondly, this would mean my purchasing a printer far in excess of my requirements.  I work freelance and the only people who use the printer are myself and, very occassionally, my husband.  As I had the lowest subscription to Instant Ink for most of the four years, you can see that neither printer was heavily used.

When I spoke to Daniel, he was understanding of the situation and of my annoyance.  After consultation, he was able to offer an additional 3 months subscription to Instant Ink on any future printer I purchased.  At £3.49 a month, this would only amount to a little over £10.00.  I declined.  Had the compensation been, say, a free 12 months Instant Ink – something that would have cost HP less than £50 - I would have been prepared to accept the offer.  I have now bought a printer made by one of your competitors. 

Although I will no longer be an HP customer, I would like to register a complaint – against the reliability of the HP Envy 5646 printers and also the derisory compensation offered.  Also, that this case was then closed without notifying me that you were doing so! 

I would be grateful if you could confirm that this complaint has been lodged.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Christine_T,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.