Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I ordered my particular hp printer specifically because I read about the free 15 pages/month option for printing.  It was perfect for me, and I do occasionally go over the initial 15, so it's not like the ink is 100% free.  

Fast forward 2 months, I get an email that MY FREE PLAIN IS NO LONGER FREE.  Now HP is charging a monthly subscription which makes me feel pressured to print.  It is deceptive to advertise a good deal that will establish consideration for customers, and then change that deal shortly after they are locked in.

I understand that in the terms, HP reserves the right to modify the subscriptions they have.  I am not saying that what they did is illegal, but it certainly lost them the business of one customer forever hereafter. 

46 REPLIES 46
HP Recommended

I actually had the same concern.  How can HP do this? the feree plan is only available on the cheapest printers.  THey are just nickel and diming those who can't afford it. It is actually almost impossible now to have the former free option actually be a good deal.  if you print 15 pages your ink typically costs $1-$1.10 anyway.  You want me to pay a subscription on the off chance that I use heavy ink for exactly 15 pages in a given month? no thank you.

HP Recommended

That is interesting you point out that this is not even a good deal anymore.  I thought that it was still a decent deal but was just annoyed about the implications of HP sweeping the rug out from under customers.  Good to know you can't even turn a profit, and I have no reason to stay with them. 

I would still really like to hear from an HP rep to know what the company feels about this. They could have had my business for life.  Instead, they lost it. 

Interestingly, someone on Reddit cited an ad saying that customers could get free printing (up to 15 pages) FOR THE LIFE OF THE PRINTER... Blatant lie.

HP Recommended

Hi @h2697,

I'd like to help!

I understand your concern, but they are many benefits to the paid plans.

Roll over unused pages up to TRIPLE your plan amount.

You can be rewarded for referring your friends to Instant Ink via the Refer-a-Friend Program

You have more flexibility to upgrade and downgrade

Hope this helps! 

Keep me posted!

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

I'm sorry, but it seems you are trying to sell me on features that do not respond to my initial concerns.  Even $1/month for 15 pages makes it almost impossible to save money and it forces people to print.  Customers printing 15 pages/month clearly don't have the money that customers printing 100 pages a month do, but these are the customers you refuse to cut a deal.  Not cool.  Especially given your advertisement "free printing for the lifetime of your printer"...

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and the article.  HP is being greedy; they know it, and that is why we are probably due for another BS response from them dodging the question.  

I appreciate that HP has a place to reach out with issues, but I doubt they will do ANYTHING for us.  All we can do now is boycott

HP Recommended

how the hell did you cancel..wont let me

HP Recommended

i bought an AOI Officejet 9018 last week the box said the printer included 8 months of free ink.  Not only is this printer more cheaply made than the 8600 AIO I needed to replace, but -the free ink was a $40 pre-paid credit on a monthly instant ink plan that you choose.  13 months (50 page plan)2.99/month, 8 months (100 pages) 4.99/month, 4 months (300 page plan) 9.99/month, and 2 months (700 pages) 19.99/month

Hp shows the same info here ...https://instantink.hpconnected.com/us/en/l/?jumpid=in_r11549_HPSA 

Then when you install the printer you get a popup window from HP that says get 3 months of hp instant ink service risk free.

The whole thing is confusing...especially if they have already changed their policy - and they're still advertising?

Shellb

HP Recommended

Thanks for the replies.  HP needs to know people actually care about this and that they will lose customers.  I am shocked they would still be advertising the free ink.  Originally they advertised printers as "free ink (up to 15 pages/month) for the lifetime of the printer" which they rescinded with the recent price changes. 

HP Recommended

I also strongly object to my plan changing from 15 pages per month free, to 15 pages + rollover etc, for .99p  I bought this printer, because of the free ink and upto 15 pages free.  As I don't print very often all, I have found that this has caused issues with the ink....it can sometimes take about 5 attempts to print something properly, because the ink hasn't been used for some time.  If I am now paying for my 15 pages, I will be printing (and wasting paper) which will in time lead to more ink being required, but that's free from you, so you will foot the bill of having to supply me with more ink each year.  Well done HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.