Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Photosmart C4780
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I print an online document I get a very light ghost image with each letter or number which makes it look blurry.  I cleaned the print head and printed a test page which looks tack sharp and perfect.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RobVid

Thank you for posting back.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. This sounds like hardware related issue with the printer and in order to fix this issue,  your printer needs to be serviced.  As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options. 
HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:
 www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​​

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@RobVid

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Have you tried to clean the cartridge and carriage electrical contacts?
  • Have you tried to print the print quality diagnostic report or print the self-test page?
  • Have you tried to check if the old ink cartridges work? 
  • Are you able to print offline documents?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: print quality issues

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  I thought I'd receive an email telling me that I had received an answer so I had not checked the community forum.  I have cleaned the electrical contacts and printed a test page and performed an alignment.  I disposed of my old cartridge so I can't check it.

The test and alignment pages look perfect and are very sharp.  Off line documents also print perfectly, but I continue to get a ghost image on letters and numbers when I print online documents.

HP Recommended

@RobVid

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor: Follow steps from the link: Click here

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have already run Print and Scan Doctor several times but it has not solved the problem with my printer.

HP Recommended

@RobVid

That sounds really challenging. Not to worry let's perform few more steps in order to isolate the issue. 

Root level uninstall and reinstall printer drivers

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Photosmart printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

To reinstall, click here.

If the issue still continues, install using the Windows Built-in Print DriverClick here

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have also tried to use the HP Solution Center but it only opens to an icon with a stylized "f" and "i" and nothing happens when I click on that icon.  When I try to use the HP Smart program, it opens with a message saying "Connect this computer to the same wireless network as the printer, then select Add Printer," but I can't connect the printer to a wireless network without using a computer to select the network and enter the password.  My eero network does not support WPS.  My printer is connected to my HP laptop by a USB cable.  When I click "Add/setup a new printer" HP Smart does not detect my printer.  HP Support Assistant does show my printer model and serial number but does not give me any control over the printer.

HP Recommended

I followed your suggested Root level uninstall and reinstall printer drivers and after completion I used your link to reinstall the drivers.  That link worked great and I was able to reinstall the printer but unfortunately, it did not solve the ghosting issue when printing online documents.  I then tried clicking the link you provided for installing using the Windows Built-in Print Driver but it flashing on my laptop screen for a fraction of a second then disappeared.  I tried that several times.

HP Recommended

@RobVid

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. This sounds like hardware related issue with the printer and in order to fix this issue,  your printer needs to be serviced.  As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options. 
HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:
 www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​​

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.