Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 6520
iOS
I do not know what is going on with my HP 6520. I posted awhile ago, thinking it was just the black ink cartridge, as when I try to print any document off Word, Pages, the Internet (doesn't matter what browser, or operating system (i also have a Dell laptop, in addition to an iPad). I have tried cleaning the print heads several times, and when I print out the confirmation page, the black box part does NOT print. However, I have printed color photos out that look perfect to me. I have even printed out a picture of my black dog, my grey koi, a black and white koi, green plants, and all look perfect. The printer just will not print any BLACK TEXT. Yes, it will print blue text (which if I am trying to print a form off of the Internet doesn't work). I have typed black text into a document, printed it out, and it is blank. I then change the color to blue, and it appears. Yes, tried on both computers, and from different operating systems/programs/browsers (IE, Firefox, Safari)

Any ideas??????

Thank you!

Nancy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Nmtsaki 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

Cheers,

KarolB

I worked for HP.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The post here has links to a troubleshooting document for the Photosmart 6520.  If the steps there do not resolve the issue please call HP Support, even if the printer is not longer under warranty.  In the US or Canada call 1-800-HPINVENt, elsewhere see the document here for contact information.  If the above does not give satisfactory results then please post back here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
I have followed all the troubleshooting steps. I have used after market inkjet cartridges in my printer, so cannot call customer support. I am looking for any solution other than calling the 800 #.

Thanks,

Nancy
HP Recommended

The troubleshooting video in the post here may help resolve the issue.  If that fails I would suggest installing a genuine HP cartrdige, and if the issue is not resolved call HP.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
Darn, I was so hoping that would work. I am still getting the same response: on the print quality report, all colors are there, but where the black is supposed to be, it's just an empty box. I should make it clear, there is the black outline of a box, just like all of the other colors have a black outline. And what's funny, the text on this page prints black. I will order genuine HP cartridges and see where it gets me. I will be annoyed if I spend $50 and the issue doesn't resolve.

Thanks for your help,

Nancy
HP Recommended
I contacted customer service and they couldn't offer any additional help, other than to give me $15 off of a reconditioned printer. I can get a new one for a $5 difference. I will continue to use it as a photo printer and not as a text printer.
HP Recommended

The areas on the test page that look like black are actually made of black and color mixed, so that the test information will be readable even if one or more of black or one or more of the colors are not working.

I asked to have an HP support agent step into this case.  What country are you located in?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

@Nmtsaki 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

Cheers,

KarolB

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended
I am located in the United States,

Thanks,

Nancy
HP Recommended
I just want to say thanks to everyone on the board. Even though my printer was about 6 months out of warranty, HP contacted me today and is replacing the printer with a "recertified" printer. It was explained to me that a recertified printer is a return from a retail store, after the printer is out of production. No charge, not even shipping. I was actually pretty surprised, as I never expected a replacement, hopefully just a solution. It is probably a bad print head.

Thanks again,

Nancy
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.