Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP laptop with Windows 10 and haven't been able to print to my HP 8610 for about a year. Scanning is fine. When I go to print, I get an immediate "Error Printing". I've spent hours trying to uninstall and reinstall the software, remove and add the printer, and I've tried the HP Print and Scan Doctor. I usually get to the test page and get the error-- but then it'll print (with no problem) what I think is called a virtual test page with no problem. I called the HP support desk this week and spent 45 minutes with still no luck (and had to hang up). I know my 8610 is about 5 years old, but I hate to ditch it now since I know I have lots left in the cartridges (I've been printing with my Toshiba backup laptop). Thanks for any/all help.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi @cjyoung75248,

I'd like to help!

Try the below suggestions -

Set a manual IP-

To set a manual IP and try the steps below -

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address 

--->Open a web browser (ex Chrome or Mozilla) and type in the printer's IP

--->then go to network ---> general ---> network protocols ---> select IPV4 only-->apply 

--->go to wireless ---> wireless 802.11---> select manual ip ---> apply

--->Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS.  

--->then go to settings on the main ews page --> power management ---> select sleep mode to max 15min

Connect the printer to TCP/IP port

a. Click Start/Devices and Printers.  Right-click on your HP Printer.  Select Printer Properties.  Select the Ports tab at the top.

b.    Select Add Port.  Select Standard TCP/IP Port.  Select New Port.

c.    Follow the Add Port Wizard.  Under Printer Name or IP Address, .  Example:  192.168.1.15.  The IP address will be copied under Port Name.  

d.    Select Next and Finish the Wizard.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggested plan to fix this error. When I got to the Wireless 802.11 step (IPv4 Configuration), I selected Manual IP and entered 8.8.8.8 as Manual Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 as Manual Alternate DNS Server. I must be doing something wrong, because the Manual IP Address, Manual Subnet Mask, and Manual Default Gateway all changed to red as though I need to enter something there. I'll appreciate your additional help.

HP Recommended

Could you share an image of the EWS screen, so I can guide you right?

Let me know

HP Recommended

Is this the screenshot you need? Thanks again for your help.

cjyoung75248_1-1616009880431.png

HP Recommended

Click on suggest a Manual IP address , the boxes will fill automatically then click apply 

Hope this helps!

Keep me posted 

HP Recommended

Well ... I was able to get through all the steps, but I still get an immediate "Error Printing" message.

One question-- should the printer Properties/General/Location be the same as the printer IP address (displayed at the printer wifi icon)? They are different (even after going through all the steps). 

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Touch on the Wifi icon and take down the IP address, add the IP to the printer-

We would have to connect the printer to TCP/IP port- follow the below instructions-

a. Click Start/Devices and Printers.  Right-click on your HP Printer.  Select Printer Properties.  Select the Ports tab at the top.

b.    Select Add Port.  Select Standard TCP/IP Port.  Select New Port.

c.    Follow the Add Port Wizard.  Under Printer Name or IP Address,

Example:  192.168.1.15.  The IP address will be copied under Port Name if not just type the IP address.  

d.    Select Next and Finish the Wizard.

Let me know if this helps!

HP Recommended

Okay, I tried this with my HP laptop which has Windows 10. I'm not getting the error message, and the printer briefly shows "printing", but nothing prints and there's no job or error message in the print queue. I tried a couple of different kinds of documents, same thing. I'm encouraged, at least the error message isn't there. 

Then, I opened my Toshiba laptop which has Windows 8 and was able to print with no problem. This sure seems to be an HP 8610 printer - Windows 10 compatibility problem, doesn't it?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
    • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
    • Restart your computer.
    • Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
    • Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
    • Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device". 
    • Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
    • Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
    • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
    • Again, go running window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
    • Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.
    • Now restart your computer again.
    • Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
    • Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
    • Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
    • Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well
    • Windows image acquisition stop and restart the service 

Reinstall the drivers from Software and drivers page

Hope this helps!

Keep me posted!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.