Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Up until last week, my beloved 8625 printer worked flawlessly. I've never had a problem with this machine. This is why I USED TO TRUST AND BUY HP.

I've never owned a non-HP printer. Ever. My first printer was in the 700 series, later an 850 and a 932 many, many years ago. The print quality and reliability are USUALLY unmatched.

And then last week happened. First off, the printer claimed it was offline. I checked and it was in some sort of weird standby mode. I cycled the printer, and it worked fine for exactly one print then it started throwing the "The printhead appears to be missing, not detected, or incorrectly installed. :

My printer is long outside of warranty. So I searched online for solutions. I found dozens of threads and videos of others reporting this error message. As a biologist, I see an epidemic, a systemic failure.

So I first work through your suggestions of opening the door, unplugging the printer, etc. etc. I've tried it a dozen+ times with no success. Reseating the printhead does nothing, the error persists.

The printer is plugged into the wall, not a powerstrip. No change, still getting the error.

Frankly, I'm fed up. I'm told I can buy new ink cartridges and swap them out one at a time to see if they're the cause. An expensive solution with no guarantee of success.

I can also purchase a replacement printhead for nearly $200 but again, there's no guarantee this will fix the problem.

Due to the predatory and worrying pricing SCHEME of the replacement part, you're asking a lot of a customer. A quick search of this forum turned up MANY others who are seeing this error with absolutely NO SOLUTION whatsoever. Jacking up the price of this component outside of warranty is nothing short of opportunism. Shame on HP.

So more than likely this post will be ignored. I'll get the same answer others have received. I'll be told to work through the pointless steps and eventually point me to your webstore to purchase a new component, again, with no guarantee of a fix.

You're tying my hands and giving me no option other than to e-waste this machine, which up till last week worked flawlessly. I'm beyond incensed. I'm disappointed in HP and as a consumer, I vote with my wallet. Unless there's a reasonable solution offered, I will purchase a new printer but it won't be HP and if anybody asks me about HP, I won't be kind. I will be specific and spiteful with my assessment. Epson and Canon both make well reviewed machines with comparable functions. You've had my loyalty for decades but squandered it. Maybe it's time to give my loyalty to another company.

You have an opportunity to earn back my respect and loyalty. Don't throw it away casually.

Sincerely,

>>Joseph C. Wolf

Intensely disgruntled customer

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.