Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A  friend of mine puts a document on the scanner glass and the presses copy. But the printed output is in landscape.

I have not personally seen this yet, but does anyone have an idea what to look for.

I do not own or use HP printers since the LJ4.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @snowshed,

I'd like to help!

I understand the copy prints in landscape.

Change copy settings on printers with a control panel menu

Open the copy settings menu from the printer control panel.

1. On the printer control panel, touch Copy, Copy Document, or Copy Photo.

2. Change any basic settings, such as number of copies.

3. Touch Settings or the Gear icon  to open the copy job options.

4. Scroll to access and change any copy settings.

• 2-Sided Copying: Depending on your printer model, this setting is usually under the Document copy setting.

• ID Copy: Print both sides of an identification card or driver's license on a one-sided copy. The printer prompts you to flip the ID card to complete the copy job.

• Size or Resize: Options can include a list of presets, custom sizes between 25 and 400 percent of the original, fit to page, and actual size to make a borderless copy.

• Paper Size: Select the paper size for your copy job printouts, or select Automatic to automatically detect the paper loaded in the tray.

• Paper Type: Select the type of paper you are making copies on. Incorrect paper type selections can result in slower copy speeds.

• Tray Selection: Select the paper input tray with the paper you are using for your copies.

• Quality: Select an available copy quality level. Copy time might increase with better quality settings.

• Lighter/Darker: If the original is faded or too saturated, make the copy lighter or darker.

• Optimize or Enhancements: Select the type of item you are copying to apply automated quality improvements, such as sharpening text and image edges or enhancing faded photo colors.

• HP Copy Fix: Let the printer automatically improve copy quality and adjust skewing.

• Collate: Turn the feature on or off for multi-page copies.

• Binding Margin or Margin Shift: Touch On to copy pages with a margin shifted to the left side of the page.

• Restore Factory Defaults: Restores all copy settings to their original defaults.

5. Select Save Current Settings or Set as New Defaults to retain the settings for future copy jobs.

You may also refer to -Make copies with an HP printer

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

@Jay_G24 wrote:

Hi @snowshed,

I'd like to help!

I understand the copy prints in landscape.
<SNIP>

My apologies for not replying sooner.  I have my account to receive an email when someone replies, but I received no notification of your reply.  I just happened to check a few minutes ago.  This is not the only forum that has failed to send me noitifications.

At my first opportunity, I will take the instructions to my friend's house, and give them a try.  ATM,  I don't know when this will be ,we both have medical procedures coming up.

But I willl be back to let you know how it comes out.

HP Recommended

Get back to me at your convienence.

Take care and stay safe.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.