Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I noticed that you said you love to help. I am a 71yo who is not tech savy at all, I am having the same problem as others in getting the Supply Problem message. But I do not understand what I am suppose to do to correct it and get my printer working again. Is there any way you can help me?? Thank you so much!!

Joanne

HP Recommended

@Rossco1978,

If I can locate the file I will let you know. Be aware that if I get a link I will probably need to make you aware under separate cover. I noticed that HP has already stripped on link from this forum. To this point I have not been successful.

I use genuine HP toner cartridges and also have the issue as some have noted. I am not going to pretend to understand HP's business motivations, however, they did not do their diligence and have impacted their customers with no regard of the impact business impact to them. They should be accountable for productivity loses.   They should be more transparent and responsive, but obviously that is not going to be the case.  

HP Recommended

YOU ROCK!!! This worked and I had spent literally hours trying to get my printer fixed. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

Uhoh. Have a new problem. The computer rebooted and the SUPPLY PROBLEM message is gone. It returns to the home screen and then goes to Printing Document. It stays there a while and eventually says FATAL ERROR 200. Any ideas on what to do??

HP Recommended

Thank you so much @Atdallas... this worked!! And I will never do any updates again!!

HP Recommended

@Bear048 I'm looking for a Mac solution as well, so fingers crossed that you find one. Thanks!

HP Recommended

That. Was. Epic.

Thanks.
I now have my M254dw brick  back.
It's crazy to me that HP is silently pushing an update and breaking thousands of printers with such updates.
There was a little message on screen saying, there is an update available... but I saw nothing about changing my printer behaviour with third party cartdriges.

HP Recommended

I just experienced this terrible upgrade myself, who knew this is possible, coming from HP? It is the last HP for me, too.

For those who cannot connect to FTP, my solution was to go to the web interface management page (http://192.168.1.18/hp/device/set_config_networkAdvanced.html?tab=Networking&menu=NetAdvanced) - change your IP to whatever yours is and go to Network - > configuration -> Advanced (the above URL from my setup, of course, change the IP first).

Over there I had the active services and Print via FTP was disabled. I activated it, Applied the new settings, and then the FTP connection worked. See the step by step solution from CrookedFirmware on page 2 of this thread, after activating FTP on the printer, it worked for me. Much appreciated.

HP Recommended

Can you please send that link again?  It mysteriously vanished…

HP Recommended

For those with genuine cartridges having the service error 79 and constant reboots - I was able to fix this by disabling IPv6 support from the printer menu.  I have no idea why this would make any difference, but it worked for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.