Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Worked great.  I had to use a USB printer cable for the downgrade program to work.  Wifi never connected correctly for the downgrade.

HP Recommended

Sorry Kumar0307 you're wrong. HP printers do allow an option to downgrade firmware. Unfortunately, even though the option is available in the printers menu, your company makes it very difficult to perform that operation by hiding older versions of the firmware in their ftp sites. So your customers often spend long hours trying to find archived copies on the internet or by painstakingly combing through HP ftp sites.  Please don't compound the issue by lying to the people on this forum. Here's a novel idea .... why don't you instead provide links for your customers so that they can safely find the earlier firmware versions so they don't have to waste so much of their precious time. I think it would help lessen the anger so many of your customers are feeling right now at having their printers messed up or bricked.

HP Recommended

This solution is only for Windows users. Can anyone help with a Mac solution?

HP Recommended

I have not found a MacOS firmware update.  I think the best thing you can do is borrow a PC laptop and USB cable.  It literally will take less than five minutes to downgrade with a direct connection.  If I find a MacOS firmware updater I will let you know.

HP Recommended

HP is a joke.  I will never buy an HP again.  Trying to force only HP ink?  How about a heads up before you disable peoples work and home printers?

HP Recommended

I had exact issue of Serve error 79 and the loop of printer starting and stopping :

We had to turn off the router first, then I was able to get out of the loop and into the Setup screen on printer. I turned off all the Wifi and wifi direct settings. Do not use your ethernet cable because that goes through the router.  I had to connected the the printer directly to the laptop with the cable on top back connection of the printer. I now have a working printer it is connected and works. I ran the print and scan doctor to fix it so my scanner would work.

I am not very technical, so I apologize if instructions may be incomplete.

HP Recommended

Encountered the issue this morning.  Downgrading the firmware fixed the BS problem introduced by HP.

HP Recommended

I am a Mac user and most of the methods described to fix this seem to be more Windows-focused. The FTP method worked for me, but I wanted to make it a little easier for folks. I used a GUI-based FTP application (Transmit by Panic), and simply connected using the printer's local IP address.  No need to use command line interface (CLI).

So here are my steps:

1. If you don't have it already, go to HP and download and install the HP Smart application.

2. If you haven't already, download the previous firmware and note where you have saved it. I too used the M281 version, but if you FTP you can find the correct one for you.  Mine:  HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612.rfu

2. Open HP Smart application

3. On the left select Network Information

4. Note the IP address of the printer.

5. Type the IP address into your browser of choice and hit enter. This will load the web interface for HP.

6. Click on the green NETWORK tab at top of screen.

7. On the left click on ADVANCED (under Configuration)

8. On the right click the FTP PRINTING checkbox. [EDIT: Scroll down and click APPLY button to save settings.]

5. Open your favorite FTP application

6. Enter the IP address from Step 4, and connect (no username or password needed).

7. Drag-and-drop the HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20190419.rfu file into the remote server FTP (mine was blank. No files were there.)

8. The printer should start to install the firmware and show the HP logo and PROGRAMMING...  Once it completes its update you should be all set.

After I successfully updated I went back to the web interface and turned OFF the FTP printing, and then I disabled the auto updating setting in the printer's settings. Since FTP Printing is off by default I assumed it was for security reasons and disabled it.

[Edit: forgot to include the apply button bit! Sorry]

HP Recommended

@Rickscully.... Thanks for taking the time to provide this detail.

@All... Has anybody else tried disabling IPv6 that are using third non HP toner. I am using genuine HP print cartridges.This was presented much earlier in this thread. My apologizes for not recognizing the author.

However, it allowed me to make this simple change and continue to use the most current firmware.  I have been investigating the risk of maintaining current firmware vs. disabling IPv6. The firmware was presented to the public as being implemented to avert a security risk.

Thanks to all! 

HP Recommended

I successfully downgraded to 20200612. The "Supply Problem" Persists. Today I downgraded again to 20190419. It still has problem. This time, the "Supply Problem" message changed to "Supply Memory Problem". How frustrating! What shall I do next?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.