Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi Rickscully..... thankyou!!!!!!! It has worked, I was using 'transmit' first attempt to transfer ftp and no joy. I used 'fetch' as you stated and bingo... so happy, owe you a beer or ten. thanks again

HP Recommended

Can someone post a working link to the .rfu file?  Trying to follow the instructions for mac but can't seem to be able to download the .rfu file.

HP Recommended

Did HP remove the prior versions of the firmware file?

HP Recommended

image.jpg

HP Recommended

I am a Mac user and most of the methods described to fix this seem to be more Windows-focused. The FTP method worked for me, but I wanted to make it a little easier for folks. I used a GUI-based FTP application (Transmit by Panic), and simply connected using the printer's local IP address.  No need to use command line interface (CLI).

So here are my steps:

1. If you don't have it already, go to HP and download and install the HP Smart application.

2. If you haven't already, download the previous firmware and note where you have saved it. I too used the M281 version, but if you FTP you can find the correct one for you.  Mine:  HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612.rfu

2. Open HP Smart application

3. On the left select Network Information

4. Note the IP address of the printer.

5. Type the IP address into your browser of choice and hit enter. This will load the web interface for HP.

6. Click on the green NETWORK tab at top of screen.

7. On the left click on ADVANCED (under Configuration)

8. On the right click the FTP PRINTING checkbox. [EDIT: Scroll down and click APPLY button to save settings.]

5. Open your favorite FTP application

6. Enter the IP address from Step 4, and connect (no username or password needed).

7. Drag-and-drop the HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20190419.rfu file into the remote server FTP (mine was blank. No files were there.)

8. The printer should start to install the firmware and show the HP logo and PROGRAMMING...  Once it completes its update you should be all set.

After I successfully updated I went back to the web interface and turned OFF the FTP printing, and then I disabled the auto updating setting in the printer's settings. Since FTP Printing is off by default I assumed it was for security reasons and disabled it.

[Edit: forgot to include the apply button bit! Sorry]

HP Recommended

I logged in to the FTP server, and can confirmed they have removed it from the server. SMH

HP Recommended

This website is a good source for downloads and has software for the Mac and the 20200612 firmware.

HP Recommended

Yes, the solution worked.  I just followed the solution solved instruction....my printer is working now.

HP Recommended

HP Color Laserjet Pro MFP M281CDW

HP Recommended

I overstand that we are in a Plandemic now . . . and to have HP software upgrade to stop you from printing is unthinkable. I have been with HP Printers for around 8 yrs now . . .I even had my friends purchase the same exact printer. I told him over the phone today to say "No" to the software upgrade. I tried everything but to no avail. I then looked to see how much the HP ink is now and for 4 cartridges is around $400.00. I am just going to purchase me another printer and never do business with HP anymore. That was a hit below the belt for me. I'm done . . . Dorya

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.