Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Thanks Matt that work great.  

HP Recommended

Did the trick on my printer. Thanks for the tip this is going to save a lot more people.

HP Recommended

I am not familiar with FTP Applications. Can you let me know which one you suggest for a new person? I make my way all the way through your process until this step. Thanks. 

HP Recommended

Ok, i figured out how to use Fetch, but still no luck with the file for my M254dw using a mac.  Maybe i am using the wrong .rfu file? where can i find the correct file? 

HP Recommended

BTW, forcing the use of OEM toner is a violation of US anti-trust laws. (See <https://wmpwebstore.com/products/your-rights-as-a-consumer/>) Instructions on how to report it are here: <https://www.justice.gov/atr/citizen-complaint-center>. I just reported it for my printer (HP Color LaserJet MFP M281fdw).

HP Recommended

I have the same issue on an mfp 180nw printer.  I get the Supply Problem in the printer display.  I also have after market print cartridges, however, I also have HP print cartridges and put one in to see if the printer recognized and it did not.  I mixed them up and the printer indicated the cartridges were in the wrong area and then returned to the supply problem when I put them back.  This supply problem indicator happened after "programming" appeared on the printer display this morning.  So whatever update was put through created the issue.  I've updated the firmware and it is not working.  I can't find the previous drivers to try downgrading it.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions. 

HP Recommended

I see HP has removed the link here, and removed the software from their servers. I'll try to do this in a way that won't get it automatically removed... Go to reddit.com and search for "HP LaserJet Pro M280 M281 Printer series 20200612 firmware downgrade". The result you're looking for is in r/printers, posted by u/Tony707. It wasn't working for me over wifi, but it worked fine over a usb connection. Note that this firmware will not work on a 180 series printer, but I presume the instructions about enabling/disabling updates still apply. If you search for "ghost-white-toner" on that page, you should find a link that covers more printers.

HP Recommended

Ok I got it to work! Amazing. The Cli worked beautifully. I am learning new things every day and grateful for all of your support and contributions. 

HP Recommended

Can anyone tell me how to do this on a Mac?? thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello @teebee412 ,

Could you confirm if the error is "Error 79" or  its "Error 79 " accompanied with Supply Error ?

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.