Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Thank you CrookedFirmware! I run Linux at home thus the .exe method does not work for me but the FTP method works perfectly and now my HP Color LaserJet MFP M281cdw works as intended, with affordable toner. I only changed the firmware file downloaded to HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612.rfu cause this was the latest version that worked for me and is also the latest version before yesterday's.

HP Recommended

I can confirm that buying real HP catridges will NOT fix the 79 service error which this new firmware causes.  HP have bricked a large proportion of th M281 series printers - and downgrading the firmware isn't an option becauset he printer won't stay up long enough to ftp it.

Of course, they are out of warantee so its not even possible to tell HP they've done it.

Anyone have any idea how to downgrade the firware without connecting the printer to a network (Which causes an instant reboot)?

HP Recommended

Hi Atdallas,

I too found this solution, but I can't find anywhere the HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612.exe. Can you share it with me? 

Thank you in advance.

HP Recommended

Hi Brown_Man,

Can you share the file with me?

Thanks in advance

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  I found the file to downgrade the firmware driver, but it has not worked.

HP HOW DO WE FIX THIS? THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!

HP Recommended

Hi -  Can you send the file to me as well?  The FTP method does not seems to work.

HP Recommended

Hi -  I could not FTP to the printer.  I'm using both windows and MacOS (2 seperate laptops) and they did not work.  Are there some settings in the printer that I need to change?

HP Recommended

HP are removing all links to the older firmware in these forums, and all copies of the old firmware from their download sites.

There are copies of HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612.exe out there, hopefully google will crawl them so they can be found.

This page now has a useful selection of different firmware:  https://www.ghost-white-toner.com/firmware-update-warning/

HP Recommended

Thank you for this post CrookedFirmware. After following our instructions and reverting my firmwar, my non-HP cartridges are suddenly perfectly ok again, which just proves this is a deliberate ploy (as if anyone had any doubt) by HP to disallow the use of non-HP toner cartridges. That's anti-competitive and, my mind, deliberately disabling a customer's printer is inexcusable. 95% of the population can't do what you outlined and will be stuck with a disabled printer or forced to buy uncompetitively priced toner from HP. Can you imagine that kind of action by a manufacturer being acceptable in any other industry? I hope that someone will start a class action lawsuit over this. I'll be one of the first to join it given the opportunity.

Again, thank you CrookedFirmware

HP Recommended

Hp reomved all references to previous firmware versions. where can I download June 2020 version?

thanks in advance,  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.