Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2336
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I just bought HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2336 few days ago. I am unable to connect HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2336 with my Macbook. I have followed all the instructions given in HP website. I am unable to connect using USB and I also had dowload the software given through HP website. What should I do next? It will be a waste if HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2336 is not compatible with Macos.

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@AF14, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To be able to assist you better, I would like to know the following:

1.) Is there any antivirus software installed on your Mac? If yes, please try disabling it and check if it works.

2.) Are you using a USB hub? If yes, disconnect and connect the printer directly to the computer.

Meanwhile, check the following-

1.) Go to System Information to check if the USB is detected or not -

a.) From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac.

b.) Click System Report.

c.) Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB. USB 3 devices appear under USB 3.0 Bus, and USB 2 devices appear under USB 2.0 Bus. The printer should be under the USB 2.0 Bus.

2.) Try a different port and cable if not detected.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have been facing the same issues, asking to hp support yet not working. I guess hp still doesn't provide proper mac driver for 2336. It's detected in easy setup but not with hp smart.

I found temporary WORKING solution. Install hp driver from apple: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US

direct link: https://updates.cdn-apple.com/2019/cert/041-88763-20191011-6e70f498-9d39-420c-b11b-b252b17233e2/Hewl...

Install printer through printer and scanners preference pane, add printer, select other driver and I choose HP 2540 all in one driver. It can print yet scanner is not detected. At least the printer is usable on Mac. Queueing quiet slow though.

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 08.43.55.png

HP Recommended

1) I did not have antivirus software in my Mac

2)I cannot connect directly the printer directly to computer because my computer is using USB type C.  It need to use USB hub to connect with the printer

3) USB 2.0 bus is not listed. It only have USB 3.0 bus, USB3.1 bus. Any idea how I can add USB 2.0 bus?

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I can now connect my computer with the printer. But, when I tried to print something, it seems the printer cannot print really well. There were area that it can print and there were area that were missing. however, when I am trying to copy, it was working really well. It can copy without any problems (missing fonts/ pictures can be printed well), Do you encounter the same problem?

Otherwise, I am hopeful that Hp will have a driver for Mac for HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2336. the retailer that I am buying from also did not know that this printer not supported with Mac. it is just a waste of money buying this product. 

HP Recommended

It’s just fine. Maybe because I just use the printer for light stuff, printing pdf and words document only.

I also surprised that this printer is not (yet?) supported on mac. My experience with hp printer on my mac never be that difficult. I use bootcamp just to print it in windows and it’s really frustating.

HP Recommended

Any update ? I try using Hp smart and still not working, please fix this irritating bug !

HP Recommended

hai, you had the same problem with me. Apparently the hp customer service ask me to update my mac to the latest software which is Catalina. It seems that you had the problem even when using the latest mac software. I think HP DESKJET 2336 is not compatible with Mac

HP Recommended

Don't bother to even update your Mac to the latest software. I too read up about this issue and was told in support.apple.com to try update MacOs before trying to connect the printer again, and so i went on and updated it to macOs Big Sur 11.0.1 and ended up going into Apple workshop. It's gonna add more problem to your laptop. HP DeskJet 2336 is just a waste of money.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.