cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
JONTO
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

HP ENVY 5020 connot update HP Instant Ink status

HP Recommended
HP Envy 5020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer is USB connected and I've had no problems with instant ink before, receiving new cartridges on a regular basis.

During a print run the message 'Cannot print.  Connect printer to update HP instant ink status - Try Connect' appeared.  I tried Connect, it then says 'The printer cannot connect to Web Services.  The server might be busy or temporarily unavailbe.  Try again later.'

I tried later.  I then followed the HP advise to re-boot everything.  I have turned Web Services off and on.  I can communicate to the printer via it's IP address.  When I send a print request it reacts, then produces the Instant ink message.  I cannot print a test page or copy anything as it insists on try to get the status.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

1 REPLY 1
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 11,676 1,404 2,454
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@JONTO,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I see from your post that you are having issues with the Instant ink program. No worries, I'll be glad to help you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes before the issue started?

Is the printer powered on and connected to the home WiFi?

What happens when you try to login to your HP instant ink account page, do you see any notifications.

In the meantime let's try these steps here: 

A printer with an active Internet connection: The printer must be set up on a wired or wireless network and Web Services must be turned on. This connection is required so that HP Instant Ink can securely monitor your printer’s ink status. A daily connection between your printer and the Internet is not required, but HP recommends that you allow your printer to remain connected as often as possible. After your printer has been disconnected for a few days, you receive reminders to connect. If you fail to connect, eventually your HP Instant Ink cartridges stop printing.

Let's start off by performing a hard reset on the printer. Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Now login to your HP Instant ink account page and then click on notification icon to check If you have any issues with your printer or account. This will help you understand the issue.

If this does not help then I would suggest here is to do a network power drain. Follow the steps below:

Turn off all the devices connected on your network including the PC, Smartphones, printer, modem (if present) and router. Make sure all the devices in the network are turned off / unplugged.

Wait for 2-3 minutes.

Now turn on the modem if present. Wait till all the lights are steady and idle.

Then turn on the router. Again wait for a couple of minutes so that the lights are all steady.

Then turn on the PC and other devices.

Now try to login to your HP Instant ink account page and check for the notification Icon.

For more information, please check this support link: HP Instant Ink - 'Connect Printer to Update Status' Message Displays

In the meantime, I would need to know few details regarding your Instant ink account to help you get the ink cartridges sorted.

Since the instant ink account details are confidential, please send me the required information via private message.

I am sending you a private message with the information required. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation