Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
ENVY 5440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer thinks that it is out of paper when it is not.  If I put paper in the Photo tray sometimes it takes the paper from that tray and prints.  Is there a way of resetting the printer to the factory setup to see if this fixes the problem?  Or is there another way of getting the printer to recognize that the mail tray is loaded?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @ChuckW3

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand that the printer says out of paper.

Do not worry, follow the instruction below. 

Follow these steps to check the condition of the paper, and then print a test page.

Paper feed issues might result from using ripped, dusty, curled, wrinkled, or bent paper. The quality of the paper can also make a difference. Use these guidelines to help avoid the issue.

• Use only good quality paper that meets printer specifications.

• Store all paper in a dry, cool place. Paper feed issues occur more often in humid environments.

• Do not print on paper that is already printed. The dampness of the ink can cause the paper to stick together.

• Wait for the printer to complete a job or to display an Out of paper or Load Paper message before you reload the paper.

For troubleshooting steps, please click here.

Do get back to me as I have a few more tricks up my sleeve.

That said If I have helped you resolve the issue.

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution'

Have a great day Ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended
Paper is good. Have printed test pages with no problem. Used the copy feature on the printer with no problem. Printer status dialogue shows that the main tray is loaded. I have already looked at all of the generic solutions on the HP help sites. None of them apply.
HP Recommended

@ChuckW3

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Have you tried all the troubleshooting steps provided in the Link above?

If you haven't, please try the Steps in this Link: http://hp.care/2oQvHAo.

If the issue persists, I suggest you update the Firmware from here https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1776648-1643972-16.

Keep me posted.

Thank you.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.