cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Note for common printer problems
Customers receiving the"will damage your computer" message along with others like "unable to access cups/tmp" or "'@%' cannot be opened" need to update their version of the macOS. Please check this article for more information: "HPxxxxx.framework" will damage your computer" message in macOS Catalina or Mojave .
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP ENVY 5440 thinks paper tray is empty when it is not

HP Recommended
ENVY 5440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer thinks that it is out of paper when it is not.  If I put paper in the Photo tray sometimes it takes the paper from that tray and prints.  Is there a way of resetting the printer to the factory setup to see if this fixes the problem?  Or is there another way of getting the printer to recognize that the mail tray is loaded?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,683 11,674 580 640
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @ChuckW3

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand that the printer says out of paper.

Do not worry, follow the instruction below. 

Follow these steps to check the condition of the paper, and then print a test page.

Paper feed issues might result from using ripped, dusty, curled, wrinkled, or bent paper. The quality of the paper can also make a difference. Use these guidelines to help avoid the issue.

• Use only good quality paper that meets printer specifications.

• Store all paper in a dry, cool place. Paper feed issues occur more often in humid environments.

• Do not print on paper that is already printed. The dampness of the ink can cause the paper to stick together.

• Wait for the printer to complete a job or to display an Out of paper or Load Paper message before you reload the paper.

For troubleshooting steps, please click here.

Do get back to me as I have a few more tricks up my sleeve.

That said If I have helped you resolve the issue.

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution'

Have a great day Ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Paper is good. Have printed test pages with no problem. Used the copy feature on the printer with no problem. Printer status dialogue shows that the main tray is loaded. I have already looked at all of the generic solutions on the HP help sites. None of them apply.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18,169 18,146 1,140 1,142
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ChuckW3

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Have you tried all the troubleshooting steps provided in the Link above?

If you haven't, please try the Steps in this Link: http://hp.care/2oQvHAo.

If the issue persists, I suggest you update the Firmware from here http://bit.ly/2kvRwEP.

Keep me posted.

Thank you.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation