Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5540
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

New printer that I can't make work with my MAC.  Removed all HP software from MAC.  Somehow can't reset my printer to factory settings.  I hit button on display "Reset" and then use wireless wizard to establish on my wireless network.  But when I go to download printer software I get message that my printer can not be found.  Both my printer and MAC are on my same wireless network.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JerryDurham,

Good Day.  Thank you for posting your query in the HP community.  I read the post regarding installing the printer on your Mac computer. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Superb description and spectacular troubleshooting and commendable diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did you check by resetting the Mac printing system and adding the printer to the network?

For a start please perform these steps:

• Perform a hard reset on the printer from this link: http://hp.care/2tUR0UP and perform only the steps mentioned in step 1 for a hard reset.
  • Then restore network defaults on the printer from this link: http://hp.care/2eEq44T please refer #o page 63 on how to do it.
  • Then from this link: http://hp.care/2tUBw3f for HP Printers - Printer Not Found During Network Driver Setup (Mac)

Perform only  these steps:

• Step 1: Restart the computer, printer, and router
  • Step 2: Check the network and printer connection status
  • Step 3: Manually connect the printer to your network (wireless connections only)
  • Step 4: Reset the print system

Then add the printer to the network by following these steps:

1.) Click the Apple menu icon, and then click System Preferences.

2.) Click Printers and Scanners, Print and Scan, or Print and Fax.

3.) In the Printers list, click your HP printer, and then click the Minus button to delete it.

4.) Click the Add button.

5.) Find, and then select the name of your printer from the Printer list, and then click Add to add your printer. Do not select an HP Fax driver.

6.) Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select the name of your printer.

7.) Avoid the AirPrint driver. Once the correct HP driver is chosen, select Add to add the printer to the list.

8.) Try to print.

This will do the trick for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @JerryDurham,

Good Day.  Thank you for posting your query in the HP community.  I read the post regarding installing the printer on your Mac computer. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Superb description and spectacular troubleshooting and commendable diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did you check by resetting the Mac printing system and adding the printer to the network?

For a start please perform these steps:

• Perform a hard reset on the printer from this link: http://hp.care/2tUR0UP and perform only the steps mentioned in step 1 for a hard reset.
  • Then restore network defaults on the printer from this link: http://hp.care/2eEq44T please refer #o page 63 on how to do it.
  • Then from this link: http://hp.care/2tUBw3f for HP Printers - Printer Not Found During Network Driver Setup (Mac)

Perform only  these steps:

• Step 1: Restart the computer, printer, and router
  • Step 2: Check the network and printer connection status
  • Step 3: Manually connect the printer to your network (wireless connections only)
  • Step 4: Reset the print system

Then add the printer to the network by following these steps:

1.) Click the Apple menu icon, and then click System Preferences.

2.) Click Printers and Scanners, Print and Scan, or Print and Fax.

3.) In the Printers list, click your HP printer, and then click the Minus button to delete it.

4.) Click the Add button.

5.) Find, and then select the name of your printer from the Printer list, and then click Add to add your printer. Do not select an HP Fax driver.

6.) Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select the name of your printer.

7.) Avoid the AirPrint driver. Once the correct HP driver is chosen, select Add to add the printer to the list.

8.) Try to print.

This will do the trick for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @JerryDurham,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Re loaded all the drivers, changed the ink cartridge but still will not print in colour

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.