Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5542
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP ENVY 5542 stopped printing cyan color.  I took out the color cartridge and touched it to a damp tissue and all three colors showed on the tissue.  I replaced the color cartridge anyway and the new cartridge still will not print cyan color.  (I only use genuine HP cartridges).  Any suggestions to what I should do now would be very much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@p4445, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are not able to print in Cyan. Try making a standalone copy in color and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Perform steps 9 and 12 from this document.

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic report

1. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

The Setup menu displays.

2. Touch Tools, and then touch Print Quality Report.

3. Check for cyan.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@p4445, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are not able to print in Cyan. Try making a standalone copy in color and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Perform steps 9 and 12 from this document.

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic report

1. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

The Setup menu displays.

2. Touch Tools, and then touch Print Quality Report.

3. Check for cyan.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Kumar 0307

When I ran the test steps you suggested, the "Print Quality Diagnostic" printout showed the cyan color was missing on both the used color cartridge printout and also from the brand new color cartridge printout.  I put in a second new color cartridge and it is printing with all the colors.  The first new color cartridge that I put in was defective, it did not print the cyan color.  That was the first defective brand new HP cartridge that I have ever had to the best of my knowledge in all my years of using HP printers and cartridges.

HP Recommended

@p4445

As the defective ink cartridge was recently bought and is under warranty, please reach out to the HP Support in your region for a replacement.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I purchased the ink at Staples and they gave me a refund.  Thank you for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.