Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Photo 7830
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello everyone!

Today I facedanother issue with my new printer ENVY Photo 7830. The wireless network LED on the front panel flashed, indicating that there is no WLAN connection. I checked my setup (other clients, router and so on) with the result that only the printer did not work correctly. Thinking of "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" I pressed the power button in order to proceed as I was taught to. Now the printer seems to be caught in the shut down process. The donut is still spinning but it won't finish I think.

Disconnecting the power cable solves the issue but is not the correct solution in my opinion. Furthermore, this is not the first time that happened. Last time when the printer lost WLAN connection I tried the same thing (off/on) and the shut down procedure got stuck, too. Since it is a repetitive issue now, I think that this might be a problem with the firmware/software of the printer. Does anyone else experience the same problem or knows how to fix it?

Thank you in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@SaschaG, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I appreciate your detailed explanation of the issue, follow the steps below-

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Assign manual IP to the printer

The steps on how to set a manual IP address can be found here.

For the DNS servers please use 8.8.8.8 for the Manual Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 for the Alternate DNS server. These are Google’s public DNS servers.

Keep the printer under observation and let me know.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@TEJ1602

Firmware was already up to date and I have already set a static IP for the printer in my router's configuration.

I am feeling a bit uncomfortable using google's DNS servers, so I won't follow this advise. Could you please explain what should be achieved by this?

Since my router is not configured for IPv6 I deactivated this protocol within the printer's network settings. Maybe this will help. I will update the thread If something happens.

EDIT:
I thought using @ + username would be sufficient to "mention" a user. This is not the case. How does it work?

HP Recommended

@SaschaG

Thanks for replying!

The advantage of using Google Public DNS is speed, reliability, and performance.

Yes, that is sufficient to mention the user 🙂

Is the issue resolved? Do you need additional help?

Keep me posted.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@TEJ1602

On average the printer freezes once a month. Let's wait another three weeks and I will give an update.

HP Recommended

@SaschaG

Sure, keep me posted 🙂

Thanks!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

After another four weeks no freeze occured. The only thing I changed was to disable IPv6 configuration. This may have solved the issue.
Thanks for your help!

The thread can be closed.

HP Recommended

Today the problem occured again. This time, WLAN was not disconnected/interrupted (this is new).

What happened?

• I wanted to print a PDF.
  • Printer did not start.
  • HP Software prompted communication issues with the printer and recommended turning off/on the printer.
  • I pressed the power button.
  • Printer got stuck during shut down routine ("ring of death")

I still think this is a firmware problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.