cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
tcluss
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP Envy 5540 only prints black and white

HP Recommended

I am experiencing the same problem.  Very frustrating.

3 REPLIES 3
PatrickYork
Level 1
11 6 0 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can think of stronger words than 'frustrating'.  I now have a not-inexpensive piece of plastic in my office that is basically useless.

Every single application now prints black-and-white.  Reinstalling the HP driver has done nothing.  And I know the print-heads etc are okay because the test pages print fine in full colour.

If anyone is on here from HP, you currently have one customer here who is desperate to go back to Canon or Epson!

- Patrick

0 Kudos
PatrickYork
Level 1
11 6 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't know what operating system you are using, but at least on Windows, the solution is to add the printer using a fixed IP address.

Assuming your printer is a wi-fi model and this is how you are connecting, this worked for me:

1. Go into Settings | Printers, select to manage your printer, click the printer app. A window will open and you should see a Printer Settings page or something similar, which will show you the current IP address of your printer. It will look something like this: '192.168.0.99'. Write down this number.
  2. Open a browser and type this number into the address bar. This should give you direct access to the printer on your local network.  Somewhere in here (probably in an Advanced Settings page), you should find a place to set the IP address. This will probably be set to 'Automatic' or 'DHCP'. You should also see a manual option. Choose manual and enter your own IP address. For reasons beyond the scope of this post, the number you choose should have the same first three fields as your current IP address. So, for example, if your current IP address was 192.168.0.99, your new one must be 192.168.0.***, where '***' is any number from 1-254. Note that this must not clash with anything currently on your network, so try a number between 100 and 220. If you do hit a number already in use, you should get a warning so you can choose a new number. Write down this new number and click the button to save this setting.
  3. You will probably now get a warning that you are about to be logged out or your browser may now say that it can't find the page you were looking for. Ignore all this and just close the browser.
  4. Go into Settings | Printers and delete any instances of your printer that are listed in there.
  5. Choose to add a new printer. This will show available printers and yours will probably be listed but don't select this.
    Instead, select the option to add a printer manually.
  6. When you do this, one of the options should be to connect a printer using a TCP/IP address. Choose this option and enter the new IP address you set above.
  7. This should re-add your printer. It may complain that it can't find a driver. If this is the case, reinstall the driver from HP, delete your printer again and re-add it again from step #5 above.
  8. You should now be able to print in colour.

Hope this helps.

- Patrick

0 Kudos
PatrickYork
Level 1
11 6 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't know what operating system you are using, but at least on Windows, the solution is to add the printer using a fixed IP address.

Assuming your printer is a wi-fi model and this is how you are connecting, this worked for me:

1. Go into Settings | Printers, select to manage your printer, click the printer app. A window will open and you should see a Printer Settings page or something similar, which will show you the current IP address of your printer. It will look something like this: '192.168.0.99'. Write down this number.

2. Open a browser and type this number into the address bar. This should give you direct access to the printer on your local network.  Somewhere in here (probably in an advanced settings page), you should find a place to set the IP address. This will probably be set to automatic, which may be labelled 'DHCP'. You should also see a manual option. Choose manual and enter your own IP address. For reasons beyond the scope of this post, the number you choose should have the same three first fields as your current IP address. So, for example, if your current IP address was 192.168.0.99, your new one must be 192.168.0.***, where '***' is any number from 1-254. Note that this must not clash with anything currently on your network, so try a number between 150 and 220. If you do hit a number already in use, you should get a warning so you can choose a new number. Write down this new number and click the button to save this setting.

3. You will probably now get a warning that you are about to be logged out or your browser may now say that it can't find the page you were looking for. Ignore all this and just close the browser.

4. Go into Settings | Printers and delete any instances of your printer that are listed in there.

5. Choose to add a new printer. This will show available printers and yours will probably be listed but don't select this.
Instead, select the option to add a printer manually.

6. When you do this, one of the options should be to connect a printer using a TCP/IP address. Choose this option and enter the new IP address you set above.

7. This should re-add your printer. It may complain that it can't find a driver. If this is the case, reinstall the driver from HP, delete your printer again and re-add it again from step #5 above.

You should now be able to print in colour.

Hope this helps.

- Patrick

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation