Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP envy 5660 Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've read the topics posted on how to change from black printing to color printing but I don't have the options that are cited in the solutions posted.  I want to print from any/all applications i.e. Word, Excel, Paint Shop Pro with the option of either black only or black/colors combined.  Using Windows 10 .. not seing the greyscale option at all or a way to print in color.

Print cartridges are fine in all - levels are good print diagonostic perfect .. just can't print labels, docs, etc with color.

Very frustrated!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@bbkraze

Welcome to HP Forums, 
This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips. Thank you for posting your query. I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

To change the settings to print in black only, try the steps below:

Note: You must have the full feature printer software installed on your computer to change this print setting. 

1. On your computer, search Windows for Devices and Printers.

2. Right-click your printer, and then select Printing Preferences from the drop-down list.

3. Select your printer again, and then click the Paper/Quality or Features tab, depending on your software.

• To print using only the black ink cartridge, change one of the following settings depending on what displays.

• Click Advanced, click Print in Grayscale, and then select Black Ink Only.

• Click the Black & White button.

NOTE: To use even less black ink at a lower quality, select the Draft quality setting when available.
    • To print high quality black & white documents or photos, change one of the following settings depending on what displays.

• Click Advanced, click Print in Grayscale, and then select Print in Grayscale or High Quality Grayscale.

• Click Print in Grayscale, and then select High Quality Grayscale.

NOTE: The printer uses a mix of black and color inks to produce a high quality black printout.
  4. Click OK to complete the change.

NOTE: When you want to print in color again, open the Printer Preferences window, and then select Color or turn off the black ink only or grayscale setting.

For more information: Click here

If the "print in black" option is unavailable, uninstall and reinstall the printer driver.

Use the method below to remove all existing print drivers installed on your PC:
1.) In Windows, search for and open Apps & features.
2.) Select your HP Printer
3.) Select Uninstall
4.) In Windows, search for and open Printers &Scanners
5.) In the Printers &Scanners windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'
6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)
8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom
10.) Select Ok
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows
12.) Close Devices and Printers
Once the drivers are removed, to download and install the software and driver : Click here

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Roopa-S
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This partially helped - but after uninstalling the printer another whole set of problems materialized - the first being the HP Envy 5660 is not one of the printers listed on the Windows 10 update recommended following enclosed links.  The end result was the printer would not print in blackk/white OR in color.  Having to go through many trial and error I ended up have to do a system restore - the drivers were not showing as being downloaded even after many attempts.  

Very disappointed with HP Support - unable to find an actual human that can help via phone line instead of spending countless hours over what seems should be a simple fix.

Thank you for the part that did help though!

HP Recommended

@bbkraze

To call our Technical Support :
Click on this link – http://www.hp.com/contacthp/  
Select the product type. 
Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option. 
Select the country from the drop-down. 
You should see the HP Support number or Chat option listed. Fill the web-form. A case number and contact number will now populate for you.  

Roopa-S
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.