Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7640 e-All-in-One Seri
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Printer locked up - The queue said that the printer was out of paper (nope) and that it was offline (nope). I unplugged, restarted both computer and printer. Followed all of the basic troubleshooting tips and foolishly followed the suggestion to reset all printers. Big mistake, now zero printers come up when I try to add them in. The search option is not working either. Is it my computer? I don't think so. This is a BRAND NEW printer - printer only a dozen or so items. Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Community @ellumare,

I read about your Envy 7640 not functioning properly as you are receiving an "Out of Paper" error, the printer was showing as "Offline", and currently unable to add the printer back on to your Mac running 10.7.

Here is what I would recommend. Try troubleshooting the hardware first, because if there is an issue with the unit, it will lead to software issues and the cycle of troubleshooting can get tedious.

1. Power reset the printer and make sure the printer is plugged in directly to the wall outlet, avoiding power bars and surge protectors. This ensures the printer is receiving full power.

Turn the printer on.
With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the unit.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 15 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the unit.
If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

2. Try making a copy from the front panel of the printer. If the copies work successfully, move on to step 3, if the copies do not work, tell me what happens when trying to make them as there will most likely be a hardware issue.

3. From your Mac:

1. Reset the printing system
  2. Repair disk permissions
  3. Restart the Mac
  4. Click this link to download and install the full feature driver and software: HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers
  5. Test print from Text Edit and other applications, and also try scanning from HP Scan/HP Utility.

I hope this helps, and I hope to hear the outcome!

Tip: Make sure the printer is plugged in directly to the wall outlet, avoiding power bars and surge protectors. This ensures the printer is receiving full power.

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Community @ellumare,

I read about your Envy 7640 not functioning properly as you are receiving an "Out of Paper" error, the printer was showing as "Offline", and currently unable to add the printer back on to your Mac running 10.7.

Here is what I would recommend. Try troubleshooting the hardware first, because if there is an issue with the unit, it will lead to software issues and the cycle of troubleshooting can get tedious.

1. Power reset the printer and make sure the printer is plugged in directly to the wall outlet, avoiding power bars and surge protectors. This ensures the printer is receiving full power.

Turn the printer on.
With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the unit.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 15 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the unit.
If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

2. Try making a copy from the front panel of the printer. If the copies work successfully, move on to step 3, if the copies do not work, tell me what happens when trying to make them as there will most likely be a hardware issue.

3. From your Mac:

1. Reset the printing system
  2. Repair disk permissions
  3. Restart the Mac
  4. Click this link to download and install the full feature driver and software: HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers
  5. Test print from Text Edit and other applications, and also try scanning from HP Scan/HP Utility.

I hope this helps, and I hope to hear the outcome!

Tip: Make sure the printer is plugged in directly to the wall outlet, avoiding power bars and surge protectors. This ensures the printer is receiving full power.

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Fixed!!

The unplugging from the back and then the wall worked!! It was also plugged into a power strip so I switched that out as well.

Thank you!!

HP Recommended

I have had to unplug the printer every time I want to use it. Every single time. It's plugged directly into the wall - it's not using any surge protectors and I bought this in August. It has never worked properly. I would like to return this printer. 

HP Recommended

@ellumare,

I saw your message about wanting to return the printer. I would suggest getting in touch with HP directly at their contact information below to see about your printer replacement options under the printers warranty.

Good luck, I hope this gets worked out for you!

I hope this helps you!Smiley Happy

Contact HP:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Thank you for your help. I greatly appreciate it!
HP Recommended

Thanks again for the help - Unfortunately I am unable to do this form bc I don't have a product number. It is not on the printer and the original box is long gone. Any ideas?

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem. It's been ridiculous to have to unplug and replug, reboot, move paper in the printer tray, open HP support .... EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I want to print. 

HP Recommended

I have tried all listed solutions including new drivers and this still happens.  I will wait for this printer to die but it's the last HP printer I will buy.

HP Recommended

I am with you. This has been the WORST printer experience I have ever encountered. This forum is a joke as no real solution is presented to actually fix the problem, just hopefuly bandaids that you have to continually do to MAYBE make it work once. I purchased through Amazon so HP is really not willing to do anything to help me (if they were, they see this forum and could reach out with an option to trade in for another printer) and it's outside the Amazon return window. 

Also, the printer is barely ever used since it never works wirelessly and I print plugged in maybe one time a week (less than 10 pages) and I have replaced the ink cartridges in the last year 5 times. HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE?! 

The absolute worst experience with a printer and worst customer service experience with a brand. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.