Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Photo 7120 All-in-One Printer

I have a problem that many others have experienced with HP Envy printers. I have an HP Envy Photo 7120 that won't boot up completely, it gets stuck on the first dot. I've followed all the soft reset procedures recommended by support agents here, plugged in directly to an outlet, waited plenty of time after unplugging it and pressing the power button for 15 and 30 seconds to flush residual power, etc. Printer never boots up, gets stuck on the first dot. Apparently there is a factory hard reset procedure that HP agents will not share on the message board but will message users directly, as the procedure is specific to the printer model. Please message me the factory reset procedure for my Photo 7120. Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello, anyone? I've seen several other similar issues with HP Envy printers and in most of those, an HP rep sent a PM to the user with a model-specific factory reset procedure. They would not reveal the procedure in the public topic, only by PM...so I'm hoping someone, either an HP rep who has the factory reset procedure or someone with the same Photo 7120 model that received the procedure, will RSVP to this thread. Bueller?

HP Recommended

Hi @SimmaxMarc,

Welcome to HP Support Community. This is a great place to post questions and find answers.
Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I see that you are facing issues with your HP ENVY Photo 7120 All-in-One Printer wherein it is stuck on the initializing screen.

Please download and install the firmware update on the computer connected to the printer from this weblink.

You may also refer to this document to know how to update the firmware.

Let me know if this works.
Take care and have a good day ahead.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

UPDATE: Thank you for the reply and firmware update suggestion, but this fails because the printer never boots up enough for Windows to detect it. The firmware update requires that the printer be connected to the computer and "visible" to Windows when connected via USB, but that's useless if the printer doesn't get far enough in the power-up boot process to signal that it's connected in Windows.

I tried connecting the printer to 3 different computers via the USB cable and none of the computers detected the defective printer, and therefore the firmware update process just got stuck at the "Detecting printers..." phase indefinitely. Clicking "Refresh" just repeats the detection phase that detects no printer connected.

It's disappointing that a printer can get bricked so easily by something, possibly a power surge or outage. This issue with printers not fully booting up seems very common, and up until now, I was fairly confident with HP quality with standalone printers. I hesitate to buy another or recommend one now.

HP Recommended

Any solution to this? I have the exact same issue with an HP Envy Photo 7134. It is stuck on boot, only the first dot of seven is filled blue on the white HP screen. I tried multiple reset attempts, with power removed for up to 10 minutes, some guide even said to remove ink cartridges which was also tried, as if this was registered somehow. No luck. The broken device will not be recognized by USB (as explained by SimmaxMarc), so firmware update is not possible.

If there is another hidden hard reset procedure please share via DM, otherwise this machine is bricked and I will have to look for hardware replacement for the user who is now unable to print / scan / .... 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.