Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 7610 Wide format

We have an HP Officejet 7610 wide format (11x17) printer scanner. We keep getting the error message "Missing or failed print heads.  printheads appear to be missing, detected, or incorrectly installed." On a few occations we have seen "ink system failure."  

When we restart it and can occasionally jump in before the error message appears, the printer actually copies and even aligns the heads. We have also run the clean the heads program.  Clearly the printheads work.

We have reset it a million times by turning off the power in the order directed by HP.  We have taken it back it factoy settings when we could get into the directory. We have installed all new fresh from the store HP cartridges.

Most of the time it says "Missing or Failed Printheads" and when we try the "show me button" nothing happens. t's like a dead end that we run into over and over and over.  I suspect a firmware update is needed and cannot get to a point to update the firmware as directed on the HP site.  There does not appear to be anything under tool or settings menu to get us to where we can finally update firmware before the error message pops up. How do I do that? 

Can anyone help us? Our local printer repair shop suggests we recyle the printer.  It seems ashame to send to the landfill when it can be repaired.  Does anyone have any tips, please?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @hp-in-tc,

I understand your HP Officejet 7610 wide format keeps displaying  the error message "Missing or failed print heads.  printheads appear to be missing, detected, or incorrectly installed.". I will be happy to help.

I think you are correct and the printer needs a firmware update. Below I have posted a link to a document that can instruct you on how to get printer updates.

HP Officejet 7610 Printers - Getting Printer Updates

I recommend trying "Method two: Get printer firmware updates from HP Customer Support"

Below, is a link to the software and drivers so you can get the firmware update for your HP Officejet 7610 Wide Format e-All-in-One Printer. When you open the link, make sure you have chosen your operating system, then scroll down to the section titled "Firmware".

Software and driver - HP Officejet 7610 Wide Format

I hope this helps.

If this helps show appreciation for my reply by hitting the thumbs up below

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I have helped you reach a solution.

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

★Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
★Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say "Thanks" for helping!

HP Recommended

First of all, the updater will not allow you to flash the printer while the printer is in an error state. Printer has only 810 pages since new.

This is the second time this same model has had a 'printhead failure' - HP last replaced this printer at no charge 9/29/2015. Now, after referring me to idiots in Manila who had me clean the cartridge contacts. Sensing the printhead should have nothing to do with sensing the cartridges. It seems that with TWO printers of the same model having exactly the same failure, it's either a design defect or intentional obsolescence. Since HP's only response today to me was to 'upgrade the printer' - a euphemism for 'buy a new one' which I'm not going to do. that's not "The HP Way" - does anyone in Palo Alto actually remember that phrase which guided HP for decades.

I'm now calling the 'executive office' at 800-756-0608 / option 7 

HP Recommended

Link does not work

HP Recommended

My printer has up-to-date firmware but the error persisted. Do you have a better solution?

HP Recommended

I just got off the with HP CS. I explained the situation with my error and the failed printhead message. She had me unplug the printer (which I did 10 times) She had me clean the print carts (which I already did) Didn't fix the problem. Her fix was for me to go buy a new upgraded printer... ????? Not happy right now!!!

HP Recommended

This is the second printer in this series that has malfunctioned in this exact way.  The printer heads on this model apparently cannot be repaired or replaced (what a stupid thing, knowing that the printer heads fail regularly).  I had purchased an extended warranty for that printer/scanner. They replaced it for the cost of shipping which was almost as much as the cost of a new one.  The replacement was one number higher in the series (I think I went from a 7610 to a 7611). And the guy on the phone said the problem had been fixed in this newer model.  That one lasted about 3 years and the same dreaded message appeared. I immediately called HP.  I was on the phone with HP for approximately 3 hours.  The tech guy that put me through all of the usual steps finally said, in essence, that since It was not under any warranty, I should buy a new machine.  I told him over and over that this was unacceptable and that I wanted to speak to a supervisor.  He kept asking why and repeating the same infuriating lines, even talking over me.  I eventually got a supervisor on the phone and he said the same darn thing.  Buy a new one.  I said "Surely you have the power to rectify this situation" but he refused to offer any solution except " Buy a new one". I will never buy any HP product again.  They took my money and gave me a product that they knew was defective and had a very limited lifespan. It borders on criminal if you ask me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.