Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet 5258

How do I get a refund on a printer cartridge?

I had installed a color number 63 into my printer. At first it worked. Then it said "cartridge problem" remove and reinstall the indicated cartridge.

I have done this, cleaned it, and reinstalled.

I then put the cartridge into the other HP Office Jet that takes cartridge size 63 and it said it was an incompatible cartridge (?).

That tells me the problem is with the cartridge. 

This is a newer cartridge (I printed about 1 thing before it stopped working) and I want my money back on it. These cartridges cost enough that spending additional money because the cartridge is faulty just seems unfair.

How do I get a replacement cartridge and return this malfunctioning cartridge?

I don't have the receipt because I never intended to return a cartridge...

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@mfortier40, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand that the cartridge is showing that is not compatible.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Is it a genuine HP ink cartridge?

clean the electrical contacts of the ink cartridge?

Check for the firmware update?

clean from the software/automated tool if it has a front panel?

heck the ink cartridge numbers

Make sure the cartridge model numbers match your printer and country/region.

1. Open the door or lid to the cartridge access area. Wait until the carriage stops moving before continuing.

2. Look for the model number on each of the cartridges.

3. Go to the HP Store to verify they are compatible with the printer and your country/region.

4. Replace any incompatible cartridges.

NOTE: 

HP+ printers require Original HP cartridges.

Reset the printer

Reset the printer to recover from printer errors or failures.

1. If your printer has a rechargeable battery, remove it.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

3. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

4. Wait 60 seconds.

5. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

NOTE: 

HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

6. Turn on the printer to complete the reset.

Clean the ink cartridge and carriage electrical contacts

Remove any debris or buildup from the contacts on the cartridges and in the carriage.

1. Open the door or lid to the cartridge access area. Wait until the carriage stops moving before continuing.

2. Remove the cartridge indicated in the error message from the carriage.

• Carriages with cartridge latches: Open the latch, and then pull the cartridge up and out of the slot.

Removing the ink cartridges with latches from the carriage

• Carriages without cartridge latches: Gently press down on the cartridge to release it, and then pull it out of the slot.

Removing the ink cartridges from the carriage

3. Holding the cartridge by the sides, remove any protective tape that still might be on the contacts.

CAUTION: 

Do not touch the ink nozzles or the copper-colored electrical strip. Touching or trying to remove these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

Removing tape from the ink cartridge

4. Lightly dampen a lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then wipe the copper-colored contacts on the cartridge.

Cleaning the ink cartridge contacts

5. Lightly dampen a lint-free cloth or swab with distilled water, and then clean the electrical contacts in the carriage.

Cleaning the contacts in the carriage

6. Wait 10 minutes for the contacts to dry, and then reinsert the cartridge into its color-coded slot.

7. Repeat these steps for the other cartridge if it was indicated in the error message.

8. Close the door or lid to the cartridge access area.

If the error persists, clean the cartridge and carriage contacts a second time.

Replace the problem ink cartridge

Installing a new cartridge can resolve ink-related errors.

1. For best results, replace the cartridge with a genuine HP cartridge. To find your cartridge number and purchase HP ink supplies, go to the HP Store or a local retailer.

NOTE: 

If you have a defective HP cartridge, it might be under warranty. Go to About Original HP Cartridges for page yield and HP limited warranty information.

2. Open the door or lid to the cartridge access area. Wait until the carriage stops moving before continuing.

3. Remove the cartridge indicated in the error message, and then insert the new cartridge into the slot.

4. Repeat these steps to replace any other cartridges indicated in the error message.

5. Close the door or lid to the cartridge access area, and then follow any instructions to align the print

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.