Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hello,

My HP DJ 3830 doesn't print in color from my personal laptop. It is connected to the WIFI network and funny enough it prints in color from my son's laptop!!

We tried the printer preferences to change the grayscale, but it doesn't even exist. We followed the same steps that you kindly provided but it still did not print in color.

What could be the issue here since all steps have been followed from this post?

HP Recommended

The print to grayscale option is missing from Word Excel and printer preferences.  Documents will only print in black and white.  Test page prints in color.

HP Recommended

I have the same situation as the above post, which I have been following. Tried the same things, which didn't resolve the issue. The Windows 10 driver must be buggy, since I can print from my iMac and my Macbook Air fine (with color). The problem doesn't appear to be with the printer itself. Just FYI...

HP Recommended

So, awhile back I posted that using Windows 10 functionality to uninstall and reinstall the driver (the Printer) fixed the problem.  Well, it did back then.

Frustratingly, this doesn't appear to now be the case.

I...

• Printed from Word 365 and was surprised it came out in black & white.
  • I uninstalled/reinstalled the Printer.
  • I printed the Windows Printer Test Page, and it did print in color.
  • I tried printing the Word document again, it came out in black & white. 😞
  • I printed the Windows Printer Test Page, and it PRINTED IN BLACK & WHITE.

Really frustrating.  I HAVE to get a COLOR document out in a day or two.  I'll, sadly, have to play around with this more and will try to report back here.

HP Recommended

So, reporting back.

After finding my printer would not print in color as noted above, I actually went back and did the same thing as (basically) noted above:

1. I went into "Printers & Scanners" and removed the printer.
  2. I added the printer again.
  3. I printed a test page - printed in color.
  4. Printed my Word document - printed in color.

I DO NOT print a whole lot.  (One of the reasons I love this printer and the "Instant Ink" program)  And, when I first got this printer, it printed flawlessly during the rare times I need to print something.  @HP - I hope you can solve this "out of the blue the printer won't print in color" problem.  I don't get why it will, on a whim, stop printing in color.

HP Recommended

When I send the same document from my phone, it prints in color just fine. When I send from my laptop to the printer, it only prints black and white.

HP Recommended

Did you restart your computer during/after the remove/add of the printer? I was really hoping that would fix the issue, but it hasn't. Super disappointed that so many folks are having this issue and HP does not seem to have an easy solution for us.

HP Recommended

Yeah, this is trash. Why will it not print in color? I'm pretty upset here. I was hoping to find a resolution to this issue and instead am now incredibly frustrated with this product. I've wasted numerous pages attempting to troubleshoot the issue without any luck.

HP Recommended

Yes! Will copy in color.

I use windows

HP Recommended

Your instructions on deleting the old instance of the printer software and installing a new instance fixed my problem.  Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.