Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have received from HP a Re-furbished printer HP OfficeJet Pro 9010, as the original printer I bought had issues with a "Leaking Cartridge message" during Setup.

When I use the original SETUP Cartridges of my NEW, yet REPLACED printer, as I was told explicitly by HP I get the following ERROR: New Supplies Required, New, Unused Cartridges must be used for Startup ERROR

IMG_3314.jpg

I have tried everything, resetting the printer, using the Support Menu, the Engineering Menu, OOBE reset, nothing works. I have also tried the Home, Back x2, Home, Open Lid, Close Lid process, but this does not work either.

After online chat with HP, I received a Case ID: 5066029805, but my issue is still not solved.

I am entirely disappointed by HP products. I have two printers right now in my office, one to be returned and the replacement, refurbished one sent to me by HP and NONE WORK!!! The to be returned printer was bought on April 26th 2021, and I still DO NOT have a printer.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try swapping the ink cartridges with the four ink cartridges installed on the other printer, to deny any possibility you may incorrectly mixed the cartridges between the printers, also notice the ink cartridge indication, it currently lists all 4 colors, if you may see any change there once replacing the cartridges.

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply! I have double-checked this. The original cartridges are labeled "SETUP Cartridge". I have another set which are labelled "Replacement Setup Cartridge" sent to me by HP, as an attempt to fix the "Cartridge leak" issue of the original printer.

Both sets of cartridges were used in the original printer. I have tried the two sets for the replacement and I get the same message.

One possible solution is to use Trade Cartridges. I don't have any at the moment, however talking with local HP support, they will send me Trade Cartridges.

The bummer is that this ERROR cannot be somehow bypassed...

HP Recommended

Am I correct that both sets were used with the previous printer? or may I misunderstood your intention?

Did you got a set of unused setup cartridges with the shipped printer? a such must be initialized with new and unused ink cartridges.

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Yes, indeed.

When the refurbished printer was shipped to me it came without cartridges or printhead, and I was told (by HP) to use the printhead of the other printer, and cartridges.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

After calling HP, I was told that they will send me new, non setup, trade cartridges, to try and see if this resolves the ERROR.

I am hoping this will be the end of this ordeal, but this has taken far too long! The onboard software and printer firmware should allow the user to circumvent certain ERRORs, such as this one. Being a programmer myself, I believe there is significant room for improvement for handling this type of BLOCKING errors. In principle, IMHO NO ERROR of this type should BLOCK the printing capability.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.