Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 7000 Wide Format pri
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am looking for a solution to fix what is an occasional problem with our Officejet 7000, and has cropped up yet again today. The printer will not print black ink. I've done the Print Alignment procedure and Printhead cleaning as well.  I tried cleaning the vent area on the actual printer cartridge as has been recommended by some support group responses.  When this has happened before, I can usually fix it by wiping off the area where the ink comes out of the printer cartridge, but nothing is working today.  The cartridge is 3/4 full.

Other than throwing out this printer and all of the ink cartridges I have already purchased for future use, does anyone have suggestions for what else might fix this issue?  There seem to be quite a few people who have posted similar problems over the past few years.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @P-architect,

Thanks for the reply.

The printhead alone is CN643A, the 6500 and 7500 both use the HP 564 cartridges as well. I searched the HP Print Store and found that you would actually want to be looking for an HP 564 FIELD REPLACEMENT KIT, and its part number is CE001A. The Field Replacement Kit contains a set of ink that are used to set up the printhead. It doesn't look like there are any in stock currently but there is a clickable link for Resellers who may have one available.

I hope this helps!

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @P-architect,

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

I understand that you have an HP Officejet 7000 Wide Format Printer that is not printing black ink. I would like to help with that.

I see that you have already done most of what the suggested documentation, Troubleshooting Print-Quality Issues, would have you do to resolve this issue.

I did come across a solution provided by @Bob_Headrick, please refer to this post as it may help - HP 6500 Office jet E709a - Black printer cartridge HP 920 not working.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message.:smileyhappy:

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I found this post myself this morning and followed the instructions, taking out the Printhead and soaking and cleaning.  Still no luck.  After I first turned back on the printer, I had the printer cartridge lights flashing in sequence. I was able to fix that by turning off the printer for a while.  

I've since run the Printhead Clean commands multiple times, which is sucking down all my ink!  I still get no black ink.  

And have looked on HP's website to purchase a new printhead, and can't find any to purchase there.  Now when I try to run diagnostics to check my ink levels it is telling me it cannot establish 2-way communication.  I've done nothing to change anything other than turn off the computer and turn it back on again.  

I've wasted over a day trying to resolve this. This is our business printer and we cannot be without a printer. I have 6 spare inkjet cartridges in the drawer.  That's a lot of $ invested in ink.  So before I give up and just toss this printer, I am willing to try other things.

I've done every single thing recommended except soaking in the alcohol bath, which I will try tomorrow. But if there are any other solutions, and also an explanation for why I can no longer get my computer to communicate with the printer, I would like links, please.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi @P-architect,

Thanks for getting back to me.

You do not want to use any alcohol or solvents on the printhead. This may damage the printhead. It could clear clogged ink, but could wreck the printhead and make it necessary to be replaced.

If you need to replace the printhead there may be one available through the HP Parts Store. You can order online or there is also a phone number listed on the website if you would rather call.

If your printer is experiencing communication error with the computer here is a document that may help with that - Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection.

If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message.:smileyhappy:

Thanks!

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

My printer is not set up wirelessly.  We are connected to a router because we are on a network.  This Officejet 7000 is several years old.

Everytime I turn on the printer now, it automatically starts running a print test page for cleaning the heads. I have to cancel it each time.

I tried to go through HP to see if I need a driver update, but since my computer will not communicate with the printer, it cannot determine what the device is and if updates are required.

Any other ideas of what I can do?  Now not only can I not print black, but my computer can't communicate with my printer.

I am beyond frustrated!  I have over $150 worth of ink cartridges in the drawer that are brand new so I don't want to just toss this machine. But as I read more and more postings on HP printers like mine, I can see that there are literally 100's of us with the same issue. I have wasted hours and hours of time trying to solve this.

HP Recommended

Hi @P-architect,

Thanks for replying back to me. I can understand your frustration.

The fact that it automatically goes into the printhead cleaning process confirms that the printhead likely needs to be replaced. You could visit the HP Parts Store website, or contact them, to see if the have any printheads available.

The printhead part number for your printer is CN643A.

If there are not any printheads available, there may be suitable printer upgrade that HP Tech Support could offer.

What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

I hope this helps in some way.

Thanks.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Are you sure that CN643a is the right part number for the Officejet 7000 Wide Format?  When I go to the Parts Store link you provided and select this part and look at the list of printers it works with, the Officejet 7000 is not listed. It lists Officejet 6500 and 7500 models and all are wireless.  

HP Recommended

Hi @P-architect,

Thanks for the reply.

The printhead alone is CN643A, the 6500 and 7500 both use the HP 564 cartridges as well. I searched the HP Print Store and found that you would actually want to be looking for an HP 564 FIELD REPLACEMENT KIT, and its part number is CE001A. The Field Replacement Kit contains a set of ink that are used to set up the printhead. It doesn't look like there are any in stock currently but there is a clickable link for Resellers who may have one available.

I hope this helps!

Thanks.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Actually, I ordered the first part you suggested after doing my own research and it is the correct printhead. I installed it and I am finally able to print again.  

Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

I have been having the same problem with black not printing on my HP Officejet 7000. I just installed a new HP printhead and new HP 920 XL cartridges. My printer utility can see the new black cartridge full of ink but no black comes out. And it seems that the black is leaking onto the new printhead (I have run printhead cleaning). 

Any ideas?

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.