Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 7612 Wide Format
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Officejet 7612 Wide Format All-in-One Printer. I am getting the following error message on the printer touchscreen:  

Missing or Failed Printhead

"The printhead appears to be missing, not detected, or incorrectly installed."

When clicking the white backlit question mark to the right of the touchscreen on the printer, it gives me the following message:

Missing or Failed Printhead

Solution 1: Reinstall the printheads. Touch "Show Me" to be guided through printhead installation.

---- I attempted touching the "Show Me" button displayed at the bottom of the original error message on the printer touchscreen, but the printer only makes a beeping sound (like the sound made when the printer turns on and off) and that is the only thing that happens.

Solution 2: Clean the electrical contacts.

---- I removed the ink cartridges and carefully cleaned the gold contacts on each cartridge and then inserted them back into the printer and continued to get the same error message.

Solution 3: Replace the printhead.

---- From my understanding (from the research I have done this morning), it is not possible to replace the printhead on this printer (HP Officejet 7612 Wide Format All-in-One Printer).

Solution 4: Contact HP support.

---- I have googled my problem hoping to find answers on the HP website or on forums, but I have had no luck. The warrinty on this printer just expired back in August. 

IN ADDITION

I have tried to updated the printer firmware from the HP website but it says the firmware for my printer is up to date and I have also tried downloading the diagnostic test from the HP website and that didnt provide help or a solution either.

Can anyone offer any input on what I should do? Is there a way to completely force reset the printer? I had tried several times following the steps on the HP website (unplugging the powercord from the back of the printer and then from the wall and waiting several minutes before plugging back in -and I have the cord plugged directly into the wall-), but I have had no luck. 

What can I do?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @INDIAGABRIELLED,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you get an error message that "The printhead appears to be missing, not detected, or incorrectly installed" HP Officejet 7612 All-in-One Printer

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue.

And here are a few steps for you in the link: 'Missing or Failed Printhead' Error

If the issue persists, then it could be a hardware issue with the unit and may need to be replaced as the printhead is not replaceable.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

I also recently received this error. Out of the blue, hadn't used the printer in weeks. Tried all solutions listed. Went to "big box" store and they said "Unfortunately the only option is to replace the printer" . I recalled a few years back when I was having difficulty with a desktop I was told to unplug it and walk away for several days and try again. So, I did the same with my 7612 printer. Totally unplugged from power, left for 3 days. Came back and swabbed the contacts on the black ink (as the color ones were all brand new) and plugged the printer back in. It went through all it's "tests" and it's back to normal. Don't know how long it will last, but so far so good.

HP Recommended

I received the same, "Missing or Failed Printhead" Error message on my 7612 and I have gone through the power cycling to no avail.  It's sad that this is the second straight HP printer that I have owned that has had a fatal error less than two years from purchase date, yet more than the warranty period.  I think I will be looking elsewhere for printers.

HP Recommended

Reg: Missing or Failed Printhead

Yes, I went through the same process and called HP who confirmed that you indeed cannot take out the printhead to clean it. Therefore, they recommended buying another printer instead of fixing it since it is cheaper to buy. They had a refurbished one for 167.99 (3 yr warranty was 19.99)

A new one 179.99 and the printhead replacement was 182.70.

I called a techie gal and she confirmed that the printheads go out easily..ridiculous as it seems.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.