Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Well, nice to see hp does not care about its customers at all. I see a lot of people being locked out of their embedded web servers, because even a factory reset which is supposed to reset the ews's password, does not reset it, rendering the printer useless.

This is a huge issue, which hp simply does not give a **bleep** about. 

To HP: Roll out a fix for all of your printers by simply adding a piece of code to reset the EWS credentials to username:"admin", pw: "admin" into a firmware update, I am a Software Engineer myself and i can tell you this is really not a hard task to do, if you are not completely incompetent/ are not doing this intentionally to rip off people.

If this issue does not get fixed soon (soon = max 1 month), i will never buy an hp product again (was thinking of buying a ryzen 4000 laptop from hp, which now seems a terrible idea) and make sure everybodyi know will never buy an hp product again, ever.

If this is only read by an hp moderator, which i highly suspect, pass this message to your developer team/boss.

Enough is enough, not only i am sick of your terrible customer support.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Conan42, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Requesting my personal information is not a solution for this problem, not even close.

This problem is not specific for my printer model (Officejet 3830), neither is it specific to my Serial number / Name/ Address or whatever you are demanding from me. This is a general problem of your printers which you should know, as you have answered a lot of threads having the same question, which never got solved leaving people with broken printers.

A solution for this problem would be, if your developer team would just take an officejet and reproduce the following steps:

1. Log in to the web interface

2. change the admin password

3. Lock tiles they would not want to expose to unknown people, like this:

lock.PNG

4. Pretend to have forgotten the admin password

5. Try to reset it 

(Normally you would do a factory reset now, which does anything but reset the ews memory. even taking out the cmos battery does not reset it.)

6. Investigate and program a fix to roll out in a firmware update.

For your information, this is also a HUGE security flaw, which may already cost you a lot of money for replacements. Whenever a stranger buys an hp printer and has not yet set up their printer, i could just connect to their printers wifi-access point ("HP-SETUP-XX-Officejet-XXXX") and set their admin password, which would not only render their newly bought printer useless, but could also allow me doing further malicious actions. FIX THIS.

HP Recommended

@Conan42

As my post states, I'm going to escalate this issue to the respective team in HP who will be able to assist you better. For me to do that, I need the information asked in the private message.

If you do not wish to provide the details required, the only option to solve this issue is to perform a factory reset on the printer. if that doesn't help, replace your printer with the help of Hp Support team if the printer is under warranty.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As my post states, that is not the solution to this problem. Do you even read what is written by members in this forum?

I'll write it again, to make it clear:

A factory reset does not fix this issue. It is a problem in your firmware. My pinter is not under warranty anymore (1 year warranty is a joke to be honest, just shows how messed up the products must be).  Having your team investigate my issue will not help anyone else having the same issue, only me which you should not consider a solution to this general problem. Neither will replacing  my printer solve this problem, as a new printer will sooner or later run into the exact same issue.

HP Recommended

However, seems like i am wasting my time with you and your company.

i will just avoid buying hp products again, ever and prevent everyone i know from buying your products.

HP Recommended

@Conan42

I'm sorry to know that. Most of the printers when reset to factory settings also reset the EWS page credentials and hence issue gets resolved. If this did not work for you, the only option is to service/replace the printer. If the printer is out of warranty, I can only escalate the issue to the higher ups.

Now, if you do not want to share the required details, we do not have any other options to help you out.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.