Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Printer decided that yellow was low and then depleted.  I put in a new yellow cartridge.  Printer claimed the new cartridge was damaged so I put another new HP 951XL yellow cartridge.  Printer claims the next cartridge is also damaged, even though it acknowledged it was a genuine HP cartridge.  Yes I am well out of warranty.  Would sure be nice if I could speak with somebody to decide if I might fix this printer or just throw it out and start over at Epson forever.  Also want to know how I can get reimbursed for a faulty cartridge or a good cartridge if it is a bad printer.  Yes it was stuck in the printer and it is now pierced...but it hasn't been used.  Is there some way I can bypass this yellow.  I only really want to print Black and White.  Why can't we not have yellow and still continue with pure B/W.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@LurchF15, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand your concern. This printer needs all the 4 ink cartridges to be able to print even if you are trying to print in black. 

Kindly perform the steps mentioned in this document - HP Printer Does not Print and Error Indicates Faulty Ink Cartridge

You may also try reseating he printhead.

As you have used multiple new yellow ink cartridges and the error persists, I'm afraid the printhead would have gone bad.

I'd not recommend you to replace the printhead as it may or may not fix the issue. 

If the printer is out of warranty, I suggest you upgrade the printer. You may visit Hp Store to check the available printers.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Officejet pro 8600.  Have been using reman ink cartridges for 3 years with no issues or problems.  After recent software update (unasked for and no way to avoid), printer now rejects black reman 950xl cartridge as "FAULTY" and refuses to print at all.  It appears to be accepting the color cartridges, but can't tell for sure until it accepts a black one.  Been using the same brand of remans for the entire life of this printer without any difficulties whatsoever.  Brand is LD, and they make a consistanly good product.  Would greatly appreciate if someone could advise me as to whether this is a reman issue, or a printhead issue, or a software update issue?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.