Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

repeatedly receive this message:  

"Ink System Failure: there is a problem with the printer or ink system. Turn printer off, then on.  If problem persists, contact HP".

Have followed these instructions, have carefully taken out GENUINE HP ink cartridges (correct cartridge # for 8600 Plus). Checked for ink build-up, bent pins, damaged cartridge (none of these).  Have properly installed ink cartridges- 2 are full (new) one more than 1/2 full, one is just at 1/2 full.  Have unplugged & plugged in machine.  Nothing works.

When I contact HP with serial number, it refers me to this forum because machine is "out of warranty".

I am using wireless connection to Mac computer with OS X 11.6

I would appreciate help ASAP from an HP tech to resolve this.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Kozma

Thanks for posting. It is a terrific place to find answers and tips! 

I understand that you are getting ink system failure error and you have done few troubleshooting steps, I will be delighted to assist you here.

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this.

• Did you do any do any changes on the printer, like replacing the cartridges?

Meanwhile, perform a power reset

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Wait at least 30 seconds.
  5. Plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector and printer.
  6. Turn on the printer.

Reseat the printhead up to three times

1. Slip your fingers into the slot on the left side of the printer, and then pull forward to open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the left side of the printer. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before proceeding.

Figure : Open the cartridge access door

Image: Open the cartridge access door.

Slot on the left side of the printer

2. Unplug the power cord from the rear of the printer. Unplugging the printer prevents the carriage from moving.

WARNING:

You must disconnect the power cord before reaching inside the printer to avoid risk of injuries or electric shock.

3. Lift the carriage latch.

Figure : Lift the carriage latch

Image: Lift the carriage latch.
  4. Grasp the sides of the printhead, and then slightly lift the printhead without fully removing it from the carriage.

Figure : Slightly lift the printhead

Image: Slightly lift the printhead.
  5. Reinsert the printhead into the carriage to reseat it. As you guide the printhead into the carriage, it lowers into the carriage as it seats.

Figure : Reseat the printhead

Image: Reseat the printhead.
  6. Gently rock the printhead to the left and right to make sure that the printhead fully seats in the carriage.

7. Lower the carriage latch.

Figure : Lower the carriage latch

Image: Lower the carriage latch.
  8. Verify that the carriage latch is down.

Figure : Carriage latch positions

Image: Carriage latch positions.

Carriage latch is up

2. Carriage latch is down

9. Close the cartridge access door.

10. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

11. If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

12. Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Update the printer firmware

1. From the home screen on the printer control panel, touch the HP ePrint icon .

2. Wait for the printer to connect to the HP ePrint server.

When the printer connects to the server, the HP ePrint status displays.

3. Touch Settings on the bottom left corner of the screen.

4. Touch Printer Update, and then touch Check for Update Now.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- https://hp.care/2xw8gxk

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others and please give the same post a Kudos.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Sandytechy20,

I have brand new full genuine HP ink cartridges installed.

I followed your instructions carefully.  I repeated 4 times.  The problem was NOT resolved.

I am giving up and moving on to a new printer.  Probably not another HP.

HP Recommended

@Kozma

Thanks for the reply.

I am sending you a private message. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have troubleshot similarly and was prepared to buy a new print head.  Sourced it a CR322A .  Not available in parts.  See it on Amazon for 180+ but not OEM.  Reluctant.  I also see a flushing kit on Amazon. Frustrated.  Parallelized without print capability and not wanting to buy a new printer.  $$ .  Is there such a thing a service repair man or a place to drop this thing off for service.  Printer seems almost new.  

HP Recommended

Hi Sandytechy20,

I have just experienced this issue. It occurred shortly after replacing the black cartridge with an OEM XL black cartridge. On the printer when I check ink volumes the black one does not display anything and it is new.

Is it possible that the HP cartridge is bad?

Thank you,

Richard

HP Recommended

I wanted to provide some additional info I just discovered.

1. The HP Printer Assistant shows ink levels for all colors including black as nearly full. Printer is not showing black ink at all.

2. Model Name Officejet Pro 8600 N911g

3. Firmware version CKP1CN1545AR  - checking HP shows no new updates.

4. Ser CN3ALEVH7X05KD    Service ID 24002     IK Number 937

5. SW Version 028.000.1315.000

6. Printer Driver Version 09.84.00.1173

7. Directly connected to computer via OEM printer cable.

8. HP Cartridge Protection is Disabled.

Hope this is helpful.

Richard

HP Recommended

@RumpledRich

Welcome to HP support community.

Perform a power reset

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Wait at least 30 seconds.
  5. Plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet and printer without any surge protector.
  6. Turn on the printer.

Update the printer firmware

Refer this HP document for the steps to update:- Click here

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried playing with cartridge. Reset a few times. I have TWO 8600 Plus printers and both have the same error: "Ink System Failure". PLEASE ADVISE. 

HP Recommended

@TVProducerLA

Welcome to HP support community.

If you have tried all the steps mentioned in this HP document:- Click here

And if issue still persists, this could be a hardware issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.