Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Consider these two possibilities.  First is that your network is dropping out for short periods.  Second, that your wireless router may be using a security setting that doesn’t work well with the HP/router combination..  I’m not sure which one fixed the problem and don’t want to experiment anymore, but I’d put my money on the network drop out issue for us.

I have an Officejet Pro 8600 that would disappear from the network.  The HP is connected to the wireless router of a DDR2200 gateway device.  We receive phone and TV service from Centrylink in Las Vegas.  I was using WPA2-Personal.  I believe the router was set to support both TKIP and AES.  The printer worked fine for a long time but started experiencing problems two weeks ago.  It would work for short periods of time, even sleeping and then awakening to print for us correctly.  But it would disappear after random amounts of time.  It would never make it through the night without having to be power cycled.

I tried moving to a static address.  Even with the static address, which I assumed would do the trick, it needed to be power cycled to get back on to the network.  The printer had a good wireless signal, so I assumed that it was not getting dropped because of location or a crappy radio.

Eventually, I noticed the TV image freeze and the network drop out as if the DDR2200 was resetting.  I called it in and they could see errors accumulating in the box on one of the two phone lines coming in from the street.  A technician came out and replaced a wired pair which had degraded.  The DDR2200 was accumulating so many CRC errors that it would randomly reset itself during the day.

The technician also changed the DDR2200 wireless router security setting to “TKIP only”.  He implied their system might have issues with the AES/TKIP” setting.  He even suggested that it might explain the printer issue, but was  not sure.

Running “print and scan doctor” will come up clean on this because it worked well until the network reset. So, the fix which solved the issue was one or the other.  Best of luck to you with your printer issue.

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I have the same problem with my brand new HP pro 8600 plus.

But when I launch the Wireless Setup Wizard, there is a message error "B849..." saying that I have to turn off the printer and turn it on again. Even before finding a wireless router...

My router is a freebox V5 and we don't have any problem with it.

Could you please let me know  if it's a software problem or a hardware problem?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I have the same problem with my brand new HP pro 8600 plus.

But when I launch the Wireless Setup Wizard, there is a message error "B849..." saying that there is a printer error and that I have to turn off the printer and turn it on again. Even before finding a wireless router...

My router is a freebox V5 and we don't have any problem with it.

Could you please let me know  if it's a software problem or a hardware problem?

Thanks

HP Recommended

I was useing my HP OfficePro 8600 with no problems until I reset my Apple router. I cannot print wirelessly anymore. When I tried to fix it by folowing the printer menu, it asks the router password that I dont have !

Please help me !

HP Recommended

Hi Emicoul,

Download and install the latest version of firmware from the link below.

HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g_n Firmware

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Hi maryjo98,

The password for your router wireless connection would have been assigned by you or who ever you had setup your network. You can try and get the password you have setup by using the utility below.

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended
Emicoul-

The setup wizard probably can't see the printer connected to your wireless network. That it why it is asking you to turn it off and on. Check that the wireless function of the printer is turned on at the printer. There is an light that indicates that. There is a little menu there. See manual at http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03026243.pdf
Step 1 - Make sure the wireless (802.11) light is turned on
If the blue light near the printer's wireless button is not lit, the wireless capabilities might not have been turned on.
To turn on wireless, touch (right arrow), touch Setup, touch
Network, touch Wireless Radio, and then select Yes.
HP Recommended
Maryjo98-
Yeah, sure, try the wizard. If that doesn't solve your problem, try the following.
1) try the factory default password of the router. Perhaps it was never changed from the factory defult. You'll be able to find the manual for the router on the apple support site. I think you need to know a couple of things about your wireless network. The network name, which security scheme is used for the network, and its "key" or "pass phrase". The manual will explain how you can look at these settings in the router using a browser.

Most wireless routers have a factory reset function combined with the reset function. If you hold the reset button in for over 10 seconds (different by vendor), the router drops back to factory default values. You might have already done this by accident. When this happens, you will have to set up the router again. If you forget your your pass phrase for your network, this is what you will have to do...
HP Recommended

Hello, I opened the afp on my 8600 officejet due to paper jam. There is a section you lift up which has the seperator pad attached to it. When I try to close it, it doesn't click back into place. The afp cover closes but this part of the tray underneath doesn't. Please advise.

HP Recommended

Hi hp8600question,

You should just be able to close it till you hear the clicking into place sound. It may feel like there is some tension, but it should just snap back into place.

Opening and closing the ADF cover

1. Firmly close the ADF cover.

2. Try using the ADF again.

Figure 1: Open the ADF cover
c01728768.gif

Figure 2: Clean the ADF

c01728769.gif

1 - ADF cover

2 - Rollers

3 - Separator pad

I am an HP employee.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.