Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer stopped being recognized on my Microsoft Surface laptop, unless I cycled printer's power off and on every time I wanted to print or scan a document.  I undertook to do a fresh reinstall of the HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers, which HP reports as compatible with Windows 10. (I run  Windows 10 Version 1909.) First, I uninstalled that HP software that was previously installed, first with Windows software removal, then using iObit Uninstaller. All 8620 folders in my HP Program Files were removed.  When I  opened the HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers software it falsely reported that all of that software, except the Help files, were already installed, and it only installed the 8620 Help files. No other program's printing or scanning function now finds any 8620 program 

Help! 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Arby127, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Let us try these steps:

Clean reinstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers

1.  In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
  2.  Select your HP Printer 
  3.  Select Uninstall 
  4.  In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
  5.  In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
  6.  Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
  7.  Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
  8.  Click on the “Drivers” tab 
  9.  Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
  10.  Select Ok 
  11.  Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
  12.  Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Try to print or scan.

If the issue persists, use the HP Smart app to print and scan from your Win PC

Click here to download and know more about the app.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

In your recommended step 7, selecting "Drivers", then "HP Officejet Pro 8620", then "Remove", opens a "Remove Driver and Package" window presenting the alternatives, "Remove Driver Only" and "Remove Driver and Package". I tried both alternatives and in each case received the same results. The first message is the warning, "Deleting this printer driver will remove it from the system. Are you sure you want to delete HP Officejet Pro 8620?" I select "Yes", then in the first case this second message appears: "Unable to remove HP Officejet 8620, x64, Type 3 - User Mode driver. The specified printer driver is currently in use." In the second case (Remove driver and driver package), after the same initial warning message and my "Yes" response,  a "Remove Driver Package" window opens, runs and  reports, as follows:

"The following package(s) can not be deleted:

hpvyt13.inf (x64)
This package contains the following driver(s) that are in use:
HP Officejet Pro 8620; This driver is used on:
HP Officejet Pro 8620

The following driver(s) can not be deleted:

Driver HP Officejet Pro 8620 (x64) is in use. It is used on:
HP Officejet Pro 8620"

Throughout this process, my said printer was turned off and disconnected from my network.

Your advice?

HP Recommended

@Arby127

if the printer is connected wireless, follow the steps below-

1.  Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box. 

2.  Choose “Printers & scanners“. 

3.   elect “Add a printer or scanner“. 

4.  Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it. 

5.   Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“. 

6.   select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list. 

7.  Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel.  

8.  Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“.

Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.