Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP X476DW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have changed the magenta cartridge and now get the printer failure message. When I put the old cartridge back in it works. I have tried 3 new magenta cartridges. Any ideas?? Machine is 3 years old

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please follow the steps mentioned in the link below and see if this helps you

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-x476-multifunction-printer-series/5276617/mode...

Thanks

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution
HP Recommended

Hi Markjust,

If i understand correctly, you purchased a new cartridge and you are getting a rejection error message, however when you connect the old cartridge, then all works fine.  I strongly beleive that the printer is working fine, it just might be that the plastic lable may not be removed from the cartridge or possibly the new cartridge may be faulty.  If the cart is faulty, you can definately get it replaced.

Hope it helps.

Regards

ArickF2

--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Hi , I have tried 3 or 4 new cartridges and it still the same error message. 😞

HP Recommended

Hi Markjust,

Are you by any chance registered to Instant Ink service from HP?

Regards

ArickF2

HP Recommended

No we buy them as and when we need them from local dealer

HP Recommended

Hi Markjust,

Then i know what the issue is. The cartridge that you are recieving isnt a genuine  HP cartridge. In order to confirm that , look behind the old cart that you have and the new one that you got. if the chips dont match, or looks like its stuck with some sticker or glue then its a genuine cart.  Match the cart numbers as well.

This will surely help

Regards

ArickF2

HP Recommended

I have tried new original carts and compatibles.  The old one that works is a compat!

HP Recommended
Hi Markjust,

It's actually great that you have already tried all possible troubleshooting. All I can suggest now is call the hp technical support team and update them that u have tried all possible steps and it's still not working. They might provide you some extra steps but will come to a resolution that would please you. May be a printer replacement. Give it a try.

Thanks and regards

ArickF2

HP Recommended

Do you happen to have the number that I should use to call them please?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.