cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

HP Officejet pro 8600 will not connect to network unless security setting is set to open

HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911a
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am having a problem getting my HP Printer to connect to wifi wirelessly after a router upgrade.  Seems that each time a router is replaced, I lose connectivity of the printer to the network.  Tried all the suggestions:  Set up Wizard, Wifi protected set up, Restoring Network Defaults, power down/up, unplug/plug in,  resetting the router, changing the router SSID name, entering the MAC address, to no avail.  The only thing that seems to work on the 2.4G is to set the security mode to 'Open'.  At that point, the printer communicates and I can print wirelessly.  When I log back into my router and change the setting back to WPA - Personal, closing the connection, it drops communication immediately.  

Is there some work around for the printer that I can use so I don't have to leave my security setting open?  I have been working on this for a day and a half and of all the things I try, that is the only thing that makes the communication, or lack thereof.  The service provider cannot solve this. I am aging rapidly....

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
10,308 10,311 441 691
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@LIIcedTea Welcome to HP Community!

As I understand, your printer does not connect to the network, 

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

When was the last time it worked fine?

Were there any hardware/software changes made?

Are you connecting to 2.4Gh or 5Ghz network? 

While you respond to that, let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

Power Reset:

Restart the router and printer

Restart the router and printer to resolve any connectivity error states.

NOTE: The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections.

Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before performing these steps, and bookmark this page to keep troubleshooting if wireless issues persist.

1. Turn off the router by pressing the power button or disconnecting the power cord.

2. Turn off the printer and make sure any USB or Ethernet cables are not connected.

NOTE: If the printer is connected with a USB or Ethernet cable, the printer cannot connect wirelessly.

1. Reconnect the power cord to the router or turn it back on, then wait for the Internet activity light to display a normal connected status.

2. Turn on the printer, then try to print.

Firmware update: Follow steps from the link: Click here

Then try reconnecting the printer to the network. 

If the issue persists, try Changing from a USB to a Wireless Connection: Click here

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation