Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Yes, this was exactly our experience. We ended up ditching the purple and going for a shade of blue - but the blue we're printing now still doesn't look like it does on any of our monitor screens nor when printed on other color printers - inkjet or laser.

Purple is a glaring problem - but overall ALL the colors on this thing are just "off". Maybe HP needs to reformulate the ink pigments it puts in these 972* cartridges.

The tale I told earlier of the refurbished printers was just the tip of the iceberg. We spent countless hours on the phone with HP, and dealt with a conga line of local HP-authorized "technicians" who were totally clueless and just randomly replaced parts without solving the problem. Wasted many days of productivity over it, too. They never even addressed our original printer - just kept trying to fix the broken refurbished ones they kept sending. That's why we decided to keep the original - they hadn't messed with it!

HP Recommended

I also wanted to note that another reason we sent our printer back is because it would not scan to our network.

We have an EMC SAN and would get an error when attempting to do a network scan (posting this in case someone else has the same thing and has similar issues)

We have several other HP business grade models that scan to the network with no issues.

Yes we set it with an \\ip address\name like the others and yes we gave it correct domain credentials.

I found a post online regarding messing with the SMB version in the printer settings but that did not fix it either.

Our network admin noted that the SMB terminates the session after the tree list step, but that it would take too much time to troubleshoot.

Coupled with the color issue, the unit just wasnt worth keeping.

HP Recommended

Does anyone know of a working solution? Ive now seen 2 of these threads and both about the purple issue. These threads are about 2 years apart, how com this issue has not been updated or fixed yet?

We just got this machine and noticed the same the. The print has a hint of purple in it and it prints some horrible looking blue.

Tried all the different color profile settings and wonder if they even work at all. Normally when you use different color profiles in the printer setting, you see a huge difference. With this printer there NONE, no difference at all. Makes me wonder if the rip software or color calibration in this machine is even working???

HP Recommended

Schroef,

No there is no solution other than choosing different colors to print, and then playing hit or miss to try to get a result you can live with. Regardless of the digital color settings of the original document, or the settings of the printer, we get the same lousy result. Worst of all, HP doesn't care enough to even try and find a solution. Our 552DW is otherwise awesome (although at times a bit of a quirky diva when jams or other weirdness happens) - but what good is a color printer that doesn't print true colors, and a manufacturer who won't even acknowledge the issue?!

HP Recommended

I did some basic testing from PHotoshop. SImple square with 100% Cyan, magenta, yellow and black. Than drop to 25% in steps. Well i was sort of shocked what came out. Only the yellow and black look the same, the cyan is a bit off but the magenta is complete of if i compare it to the Color test sheet the printer sends. Magenta is terrible, thats why its printing blueish. 

I also tested some deeper purples and they sort of print okay. But purples which tend to go more towards blue come out super saturated blue?!

I hope i can solve this thing. Ill have to do some more checks and test prints. ALl those profile settings from the printers side to nothing. THere is really NO DIFFERENCE at all when you use those. So the system profiles in that machine are quite scrambled i guess

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.